​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1978 Stud Hound Vault

If you need something to breed your Hi Doctor brood gyps to you might try one of these gentlemen from the January 1978 Hunters Horn..

>img src="https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-rVDoSaOZHqE/VcBWR5JcRnI/AAAAAAAAKmY/EpuBruspwCI/w801-h1055-no/jan1978horn%2B-%2B43">

Re: 1978 Stud Hound Vault

These stud hounds bring back a lot of memories for me.

A question to hunters. What would it take to get more of the stud owners of today to advertise their studs?

Our magazines are nowhere near as interesting as they used to be and the reason is that stud dog owners have stopped advertising and having their hound's pedigrees and pictures out there in a centralized place for all to see.

There are several hunters out there with 5 or 6 different studs that a lot of us have no clue as to how they are bred.

A person who sells pups could set aside 1 litter of 6 or 8 pups at today's prices and use the proceeds to advertise in the magazines for almost a full year. I guarantee that their business would pick up enough that their investment would reap rewards for years to come.

Pretty cool as a young hunter seeing all the old stud ads

78,......great year and decade for fox running..its just as well you young guys dont know how it was in those days so you dont miss it so much like us old turkeys do.Reds and gray fox with low to zero deer in many areas.and man what some races. I overheard some saying todays hounds are better and faster than past hounds.Sorry to tell you but thats not exactly correct. Well thanks for the pictures and memories.

If I could pick any of those hound to breed a female today, It would be Straight Bourbon or Taylors Osage.

Thanks for taking the time and posting those pics that is awesome to see. Thanks!!!!!

Matt, I agree with you leaning toward Taylor's Osage. CR

san creek jake or red shack both good dogs.

Chuck Richey
Matt, I agree with you lea

ning toward Taylor's Osage. CR

Glad we think alike ...too much liquor they are drunk. mix it right you got some barn burners!!!

Had hounds off Charger Hellums,Hills Lawyer,Hills Demonstrater, thanks Heath my Dad gave away all his magazine wish I had got them.

Sure brings back memories, man I didn't know how good we had it back then. Fox woods with hardly any deer, year round good running, 20 fox hunters living within 10 miles of me that some was always trying out any and about all of those bloodlines, their all gone now along with the woods ( all housing subdivisions now full of people that ain't from around here ). Sure wish I had 2 good Yazoo jyps with litters off Straight Burbon and Hills Lawyer. Hills Joe B won the Nat. In '78, I had a littermate to him that I won several field trials with, 3 day and 1 day. They were off of Joe R Hill x High Spin Judy. I know a lot of people say that hounds are better now but I believe most of them was not around then. I know I can't get my hands on any like those were.

bttt

Southern cyclone think he was the greatest stud dog of all time

was 33 years old in 78....seen the good and the not do good...and not a lot changed for them number one dogs are few then and now.times has changed. first penI hunted in 83 in Mississippi. Joe Mathis pen at foxcliff...red fox everywere....tested them hounds guts ...

Where was the Joe Mathis / Foxcliff pen located? Near what town?

It was at Kossuth Ms.
About 20 miles from the Tenn..line.

They put 25 reds in it the first year and for 2 yrs. I never saw nothing like it. Night after night for 2 yrs all night long. Bobby Hatcher sent some of those first Guinea dogs up there to get in shape.
After that bunch of fox they never could get it to run like that again. We have some great memories from there and some old hunters I’ll never forget.
Darrell

Thank you so very much! It seems the Mathis pen is no longer in operation. Is he still alive?

I’ve said it time and time again that in order for a hound to be considered for SOY should have to be ran at stud in a magazine. It’s only fair since these magazines support the SOY points race.

Lot of good hounds thanks for sharing brings back lots of memories wish it was still like those days true sportsmanship

SOY SHOULD BE ADVERTISED.. 100% AGREE WITH THAT..
NO ONE KNOWS HOW HOW HOUNDS ARE BRED ANYMORE...

ITS LIKE GAME ROOSTERS NOW. JUST SHOW UP AND GO HOME.