​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Strain Percentage Question

***This post is not intended to start a Walker/July bashing, of one bloodline or the other; I like both. This could apply to Trigg's and any other hound strains as well. I'm just using this Walker/July scenario as an example. It's just a simple question that I've often wondered for some time, and was wondering if someone had a legitimate answer.***

I've seen this many times through the years, and while reading the August issue of The Hunters Horn, I came across it once again, and it again sparked my curiosity. In the registrations section, I noticed a litter that was registered with the strain percentage as 63/64 Walker, and 1/64 July. My question is, if this hound was continued to be bred, and its pups bred, and their pups bred, and so on, is their a percentage that they eventually get down to before they dismiss the lesser bloodline, and consider the hound once again "pure," or do they continue with this diminishing fraction forever, through the generations? Just something I've pondered for sometime and was wondering if their was an answer out there.

Thanks,
Sky

Re: Strain Percentage Question

I don't know how registrations do it but I know I always heard that genetics traits went back 7 generations I am not sure how this is but it's even spoke of in the Old Testament. I don't know how scientifically that is proven. But the Bible speaks of curses and blemishes last for 7 generations

Re: Strain Percentage Question

I'm not an expert by any means on the subject but in cattle at 31/32 cattle they are considered pure bred cattle.