​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Too Early to Get Excited About Futurity & National?

Got my Chase today and saw the nominations for the Futurity and that set me to dreaming about Grenada. I went for the first time last year and would recommend it to every foxhunter. I usually get tired of a field trial after the first day and start looking forward to going home but at this hunt I stayed for 8 days and did not get bored and was not ready to go home at the end. I wish I could have experienced the days of the 1500 hound entries just to see what that feels like but I believe 500-600 hounds is closer to the "right" number of hounds to still be able to sort through them and pick the best ones. I'm going to try to make it back out there this year and I am glad there is still almost 3 months to prepare because I have a herd of hounds that need to get in fighting shape. I learned a little bit about what a winning hound needs to be able to do out there and so hopefully I can use that to get a little closer to the bullseye on the next go round.

Here is a good post from the archives that is nearly 10 years old now that I came across.

BARRY HILTON

Oct 26, 2005 - 1:37AM
The National Foxhunt and Chase Futurity

Enough about the rules, we have to deal with that next week. For those of you that have never been i want to describe it to you. It's been several years since i ran both, but if you ever decide to go, i suggest you run both the futurity and the National.

People begin to come in on Wednesday before the Futurity starts on Monday. A mix of people you will not see anywhere else. Show dog people, horse riders, and occasionally a foxhunter or two. It is not all about the hound and the win at this point, it is about making new friends and seeing old ones you haven't seen in a long time. It's about having a drink and telling a joke, just having a good time. By Saturday, all are there. The showdog people are in the parking lot grooming their dogs and the line to draw numbers starts at 4 in the morning. An unusual number of ladies are there with their husbands or by themselves. Everyone paints on dogs that Saturday and the mood is usually festive, the weather is usually nice, and most are happy just to be there. The bench show comes off Sunday and it is more partying and conversation. When Monday mornings cast comes, everyone is there, and believe me it is a sight to watch 600+ dogs go down that beach at daybreak with that big lake in the background. People with cameras are snapping pictures of friends and dogs, the ladies making Irish coffee on the dog boxes and passing it out, so i am usually high by 7AM and i am not a drinker,,, usually. Now the gears have shifted for some of us, but the mood is still festive and relaxed. The Virginians have their party on Tuesday night and those Virginians know how to do it right. Everyone is invited. By Wednesday the mood changes somewhat, with the business meeting and the arrival of the All Age hunters and dogs. That's why i suggest you go to it all. By Saturday, it is hard core field trialing. The thing that strikes me most down there is that at the National, my competitors become my cheering section and vice versa. The guys from NC stick together, help one another, look for each others dogs, lend stuff to one another and believe it or not pull for one another. The same with the Virginians, The Kentucky people, and hunters from each state. Next week, it may be business as usual, but not down there. Now i got an email from a friend that said the National is not the crown jewel, it's just another outside hunt, but fellows when you attrach 1500+ dogs and people take off work for 12 days, it is pretty close. As you can tell, i am pretty excited and have looked forward to this since i left to come home last year. Not much excites me anymore, but this does. I recommend it, you won't be disappointed, it doesn't matter about which rules you like and by the way, pen dogs do just as good down there as most outside dogs. They even get hunting and trailing.

Re: Too Early to Get Excited About Futurity & National?

Hello Heath. The Futurity and National begin month after next, it is just that close. It was great to see you in Grenada in 2014 and could tell you enjoyed yourself as there is no event quite like this one. Man I love your enthusiasm and hope to see you in October!

Look forward to it every year. Takes me back to when I was a boy when we hunted outside all time. Pull up anywhere you want and listen to dogs run. Great fellowship and competing against the best hounds and houndsmen alive today. It is hunting the way it was meant to be and the way most all of wish it still was. If you have never been make plans to come, you will enjoy. Last year I thought the coyote running was the best I ever heard there. The entry fee was lowered this year to try to encourage more hunters to come and bring their hounds. Take advantage of the opportunity and come to the most prestigious week of field trialing in the history of our great sport.

Here are some pictures from last year...

Bench Show

National Winner

Helpful Map of Running Grounds

And some links to videos because I can't get them to embed in the post like they used to...

Futurity Crossing 1

Futurity Crossing 2

Futurity Crossing 3

National Crossing