​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
best outside foxhound

What was or is the breeding on your best foxhound ever inside or outside don't mean deer dog.

Re: best outside foxhound

For inside and outside it was a Hill bred gyp I raised named Alexander's Peanut. She could get it done either place and was an outstanding jump dog on the outside on fox and coyote. Love to have a few like her today.

Cooley's ace was off of mcgowens hustler and gunstock Liz .
Hustler was off of heartburn giant and Liz was off of osteens tall man .
This was in the late 90s and my brother and I only hunted outside .
Ol ace was 100% deer proof and he could jump a gray fox anywhere you turned him out .
He made feild and dual champion at the 96 escambia river feild trial , he placed in several more hunts.
We bred him to 4 females before he died at the age of 4 with kidney failure .
One of the litters was just average but the other three were really nice dogs .
One of his pups Cooley's highball won the escambia river FHA 3 day in 1998.
We won and placed those 8 dogs out of 4 different females , numerous times in 5 hours , 8 hours
And 3 day hunts .
Ol Ace was that once in a lifetime hound . Thanx to Stewart Baxley ,
For giving him to us as a big ol puppy that couldn't stay in the race ....

A lemon and white male that I raised off of hills Conway 2 and a liqour / raider jip. He could run a red , gray or a coyote with authority on the outside. Placed him in a few 3 days in the pen but he was an outside hound. Tuff as nails. Had a nose to trail a red fox the right way and get him jumped and could put the heat on him for hours. Never had to worry about loosing him , he would come home from miles away on his on. Rattlesnake got him early one August morning after an all night coyote race on the outside.

Big Rowdy, off Yazoo Robin Chuck x Queen's Little Pat,(Liquor/Pickett breeding). He had EXTREMELY cold nose, big blowing mouth you could pick out of 100 head, could invent a gray fox and I think he would come home if I turned him loose in New York City. He wasn't the fastest hound but was always near enough to the front that if the others made a lose they were grunting trying to get back with him because his nose kept him there and he rarely made a lose on a fox. Good bottom, he'd come home in a day or two and if you wanted he'd cast again. A lot of local females were bred to him but never produced his equal, some good hounds but nothing to write home about.
Lady, off joe R Hill x hi Spin Judy,(Hornet G/ Yazoo)Great bottom, average nose for back then, now a days I think she would be considered cold nosed, great outside field trial hound, won 3 day, and couple 1 days and combinations. Good homer.
Patches, off a Allison's Eagle male x Wright's Lee Mar ****** cold nose, extreme bottom, good homer but sometimes it would take 3 days to get her up. No tracking collars in them days. HGAed in every field trial she was in, 1 day and 3 days.
Haven't had 1 like these were in 20 yrs. but I have to believe there still some out there. I'll get another one 1day.

Thanks guys for your post about your best foxhound just wish others would post about theirs.