​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
astro vs alpha

You guys that have alpha do you also run telemetry collars on hounds outside or does alpha make getting them up so much easier you don't need telemetry collars.Also what's biggest difference other than e collar.

Re: astro vs alpha

I don't run telemetry collars with my garmin. Never had a problem getting a dog before collar went dead.

BA, from what I'm hearing there is going to be problems this year as so many have gotten the Alpha systems and not enough collar frequencies. I'm not sure how the guys are handling that problem at field trials. I did not run any beep collars with my garmins last year BUT I was running some hounds that I have broke to truck horn & whistle.

Alpha's batteries last way longer so you shouldn't have a problem getting them up before the collar dies which is the main reason everyone ran telemetry collars with the astro. Plus if you train with that shock collar you shouldn't have any trouble at all

I have them so they are going to wear them. Have had alpha malfunction many times. if you have telemetry collar why leave it laying in a box. When alpha malfunctions you will wish it was around that dog's neck!

put a beep on too or you may regret it....alphas not perfect....

Well I have 320 with t5 collars and telemetry collars also so I guess I will keep what I got.Thanks for your input.

I think the biggest difference is the e-collar part and it is nice. I can call mine in but a few times at 400 to 600 yds I've seen a dog not come or slowly start drifting in my direction but then if I hit that tone button they make a bee line to the truck.