​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bad coyote

I've always hunted gray fox , with an occasional coyote race .
But with fewer and fewer fox , I've been putting my dogs on more coyotes because they are thick where I hunt and getting thicker .
I've got two straight dogs and several more that are semi straight .
I've been having some purdy good coyote races . But I've came across a coyote twice that has run my dogs out of the woods .!
Both times I only had one dog after him and before I could turn any more out , he would turn and start fighting . The first time he cut my gyp back leg purdy good , after I got her bleeding stopped , I casted a bunch of young dogs in the section , but they never found him . The second time it happened , it was my other gyp and by the time I got her caught and figured out what had happened, I just loaded up and went home .
I'm afraid if I keep on messing with him , he's gonna get em where they won't run a coyote .

I was wondering if anybody else had this problem and what did you do about it .
I feel like some of my young male dogs would fight him but I don't want to keep putting my strike dogs in there .

Re: Bad coyote

I have coyote hunted for 45 years and I feel you should come to the mid west and find an honest hunter and buy some COYOTE HOUNDS that will teach your young dogs to handle a mean coyote.

I know I don't have coyote hounds like they do out in the Midwest , and that's probly what I need .
I guess what I was wanting to know , from the coyote hunters , how comon is it to come across one that won't run .
Is it just fighting because of the young ones .?
Can you put enough dogs in there to make it run or is it just gonna die fighting ?
He may be whooping my dogs but he ain't won yet , I know where to jump him and I'm gonna get him .
I've caught and killed a few coyotes with my fox dogs , most have been young coyotes , neither me or my dogs have came across one like this ....

Females with pups can be mean. So can a big old male, once they whip out a dog they think they can do it all the time. It is pretty common for them to stand and fight.
If you go to run him again put out all your broke dogs and have the others ready to go and once it starts put them in as fast as you can and hope you have one or to that will bo up, stand there ground and put him to running.
You can put 20 dogs in on him and if they dont WANT to make him run he will send them all to the truck.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Just one opinion, I think the increasing occurance of coyote-dog hybridization is responsible for some of the mean ones. A good percentage of the coyotes I have handled around here have got some dog in them and they are always mean and strong. I don't know what the cure is except to get a gritty Wolfhound.

Who's got one Heath ? That I could borrow or they could come hunting with me .

I don't know of anyone that has one locally.

I used to run some coyotes in the homochitto national forest, But they have changed over the years. Now the coyotes start barking, an group up and run the dogs back. That used to not happen. I don't know if they are mixed with dog or just so many packed up. Probably need different type of breeding, and more dogs than I got would help. I just quit running outside it got so bad.

I've seen it happen a few times. Usually an old male or around the time litters are just coming out. And to be honest anyone who has never seen it happen hasn't run much on the outside. I've seen guys with dogs they say are so tough and they end up under the truck too. As was said previously a lot of coyotes are not cross bred, larger and meaner. It happens, it isn't the dogs fault

Kevin, I'd like to find some broke coyote hounds that have never been inside the wire. They are few and far between down here in Georgia

Johnny Henderson that lives around Pensacola, Florida has got a couple of hounds he got from me that I think will kill any coyote that stops on um. Don't know if he would part with um but they were nice running hounds but bulldog mean. They were run mostly in the pens when I had um but they got to killing game so bad I had to move them.
Mike Martin

What were the breeding's on those hounds if you don't mind me asking?

Henderson's Sun x Pacer pacer is ducotes joby x snow hellums

I do zero running in a pen , all on bobcat and grey fox , over the years I have caught a lot of cats , a bobcat is a bad dude seen a lot of hounds that wouldn't put teeth to a cat , they will run him and bay him but when he stops a lot will come to the truck cant stand those switch blades and teeth , one that will go in alone and do business alone is far and few between , cause the varmit plays for keeps , I have seen very few gyps that will do this ,a lot will snap and bay but when he gets ahold of them a lot wont try to catch again, I would find a grity male and breed that in my hounds , I have done this and now they will eat him like a hotdog, most have bred the fight out of hounds today , all they want is a fast dog , find a male that will fight and breed to him , if u want hounds with grit and will fight here is the dog to breed to he is a broke hound , Thunder ridge Charlie , Charles tyre owns him , he is out of wainrights swiper, and tyres Dixie T I have hunted with him a lot, caught a lot of cats with him in the pack , and currently own 6 pups out of him with 2 being 2 years old, I own his litter mate a gyp , that will put teeth to her game , Charlie has a lot of hornet stinger in his ped , with him being a grand pup off wilsons punch, Charlie is a good lookin hound and is game to the core and will eat a wildcat up . I don't believe a coyote can fight any harder than a cat does, Charles isn't far from u he is in jesup ga

wrote the wrong gyp Charlie is off of he is off of wainrights swiper x tyres coco liq, with her being off wilsons punch , I currently own her litter mate, and a litter mate to Charlie, with both being broke cat hounds that can trail and run there own game on the outside.

outside yote run n not gonna be like outside fox. just not gona be the same.never the same race twice....30 years ago we saw truck loads of "bad to the bone hounds" brought into the territory to pulverize a mean yote..most of you know the same story and how it went down..... but in a blue moon 20 hounds can single out a scared yote from time to time and pump the wind out of him. but if one gets the bluff over a pack of hounds there isnt much good runnin goin on. some bay n and fussin but not many hounds will go in on a mean momma coyote. but keep try n. you may get er dun......

I agree w/ Mr.(Kevin)Harris. I grew up and hunted around Lake Ouachita in Central Arkansas,running mostly Deer and Fox. LEARNED when I moved to Missouri that there IS a difference between a "Deer and Fox bred" Hound and a true "Coyote bred" Hound. The Bloodline DOES make a difference on how a Hound will handle the game as Deer just flee and a Fox ducks,shucks and jives,more like a game of keep a way. A 'yote(on the outside)is playing for keeps and when when the race is over the "lead" dog HAS to know what to do;if you're running to catch or in your case,has a fighting Coyote who is a "bad'un". REMEMBER that dogs(Hounds)are pack animals,by Gods design,and will follow the actions of their "leader". I saw more real Coyote hounds in the 10 Yrs. I lived in Mo. than I ever had in our area at home;with a few exceptions,of course. Hard to beat the "Croghan" lineage started by Mr. Bill Croghan or the Lines that the North Missouri boys run for grabbing hold and doing business right! Coyote/Cat bred Hounds are the way to go for a Bad Coyote as the grab hold and fight is bred into them. Good luck,God Bless.

Damian you may want to contact Mr. Johnny cause I can tell you ole Sun could kill one as fast and easy as any killer I've seen. I believe Sun has passed but he may have something off of him he would be willing to let go of, heck he would probably loved to go hunting with you. I'm not sure if Hammer has any sure enough killers right now but it would not surprise me if he does. I know he has one off of Bud and Mary Lou that if he is anything like his half brother Half Ear he would be your answer. Hope this help

Damion, get with Donnie Dubose, his dad had a Crogan (spelling) hound he bought just for that reason. I'm sure he doesn't still have him

I wish I lived closer to the gentleman having problems with this soured coyote! I would come give him a shot with a few of my potlickers! I don't have the best in the Country but what I breed and raise suit me just fine. If mine couldn't get the job done my best buddy Kelly has some that would!

i got me some from a guy runs coyotes in pen all time. they seem to help some were they been in many pen coyote races and along with mine end up after 5 deer before its over.The deer are the problem for me. 100 to 1 ratio to coyote and coyotes are thick....

Boys dont get all hung up on the Croghan hounds as the only coyote hounds in the world. I have had some of them and they are just like all the rest there are some good one and some not worth a darn. There are lots of good coyote hounds around the mid-west that can and will make a mean coyote run or die. I have seen some really good Julys that can get after a mean coyote also.

Mr. Grey , I would love for you to bring your dogs and come go hunting with me .
I live less than half a mile from the coldwater creek camp grounds , they have covered concrete kennels there two .
You can come and stay a few weeks .
I got plenty of coyotes but we got a lot of deer too !

Mr. Coldwater I didn't write the above post, and whomever did misspelled my name. I would say someone has to much time on there hands. I can't help you, I wish I could. Good Luck.

B.J. Gray

Most of the time if you can get a dog or 2 that will fight you can get the rest of em fighting but you have to be careful with young dog if u get em whooped u can ruin em