Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Private fox pens

Why are all these fox pens private !
This is killing the sport with all these private pens!
Two good pens in Livingston parish private !
They wonder why people are getting out of fox hunting !

Re: Private fox pens

Several for customers in Tangipahoa and Washington Parishes.

Cody give Kelly I want be like valintine call he may can answer your question .

Speaking solely for my situation managing 300 acres and 30 pieces of game,,,,expense of game,coyote feed, problem of locating game in hot months,trouble with hounds left in pen for one reason or another,road and trail damage,road dogs , beer and soda cans pitched in woods, etc. ,and no time for personal use if its booked.

?
Cody give Kelly I want be like valintine call he may can answer your question .

Either you got big fingers or you to deep in the bottle. Lol

If someone owns a pen and want to keep it to there self its theres so why a question like this. The owner has a right to do what he want with it.

Some hunters think for $5 a dog you get to snatch and grab game and burn propane gas in the camp house like its free. Catch all the game in the road and then they complain and want their money back when they can't jump one.....wunder why pens limit their bookings?????

Very well said! Also, running more dogs than what they are willing to pay for. All i can say is go buy u a pen of your own then you can do what you want with it. Happy hunting

It should be $10 a dog to run .... It was $5 in 1983 to run a dog in a pen.

To the pens that are open to the ones that dont own a pen.We appreciate it & what yall do for us.

Theres plenty open pens out there,so go where people appreciate your buisness!Make sure you clean up after yourself & pay for every hound you cast.Then you aint got to put up with so ol'curious pen owner dont want you there.

I agree for 10.00 a dog! It would help with up keep in the pens, pen owner wouldnt mind letting people run

All running in pen should be 10.00 a dog, this way all the dogs are same price regardless of age. Good hunting

I bet that's chad Wascom saying pen fees should go up and the one bashing private pens. Money hungry Wascom. He would go to 20$ a dog

to the no pen owner remark about going where you are appreciated. I had a pen for 15 years and it was not a money making deal. it cost to keep up roads, keep game in pen, and keep up camp house with supplies etc. along with fence repairs. you always have a few hunters who run more dogs than they pay for. have a few that never paid their bill, in fact I still have a balance with a few hunters who never paid up. had a few who would knowing bring head hunter to pen and a few who would abuse your roads. therefore I think hunters need to appreciate the pen owner who allow them to run. now I had some real good hunters like mr roy seal, bennie felder, and cowboy William along with a few others who took care of the pen and was a pleasure to have at the pen. I was lucky enough to have a good job and could afford some losses over the years and have a place to run. I will say this, that a few bad hunters make it hard on the good one so therefore please respect the pen owner and property. you need to realize that a pen is not a money maker. happy hunting.

Well said.Mr.Husser.....that is the truth about being a pen manager...

Mr I Bet I can guarantee you that ain't Wascom running his mouth on here like you he does have the balls to put his name behind what he says if you have a problem with him you need to call him he will answer for ya an stop bashing the man on here

It's sad to say but this way of life is drawing to a close .It will be a criminal act in 50 years to own a foxhound.........Don't blame the private pen owner. Blame your left thinking voters out there for wrecking this nation.

Lots of good comments on this post. Most people have no idea what it takes to keep a pen stocked , fed and running. The lessons you learn from your wallet are ones that stick with you the best. I know the past 15 years of trying to keep one running have taught me a lot.

Cody if you have a problem with the way we handle our business feel free to call me anytime and we can discuss what's on your mind. And as far as Circle H goes 1)we got tired of the laziness of hunters instead of waiting for their hounds to make another round and cross that 100 yard gas line to catch them or walk down a muddy road they rather tear the roads up 2) some folks just can't be trusted rather not paying for all dogs or running more than we agreed on or running grown dogs instead of puppies 3) when we put on hunts we don't want anyone with home field advantage 4) if what we do bothers you that much go to your bank of choice get you a loan build, manage maintain your own pen and business that way you'll stay out of ours! 5) do like everyone else does including myself and book you a pen outside of Colyell you'll be surprised what there is to offer across that parish line

Holla back!!!!

What does it cost per acre to build an enclosure , price of land excluded.

Best I could do was with fence wire,hot wire,and post ,approximately $2 a foot excluding labor and depending on type of set up you go with.The land is another issue.

Cost me $175 per acre 11 years ago. 200 or more now I figure.

Or $2.68 lineal foot.

Plus dozer work I didn't figure in. It makes the fee of $5 a dog very unreasonable after you buy coyote feed and get coyotes killed sometimes 2 a day by these boys trying to "lift off and fly",....of course they are not searching for game when its too hot to get any either... ....Nobody knows the life of a pen owner but another pen owner, and we love it or wouldn't do it... .But I can't afford to book mine out.

does private pen mean it is used by member/shareholders or it has a sole owner who lets who he want run there? Do they hold hunts and let anyone enter or is it invitation only?

Can't speak for anybody but me,or know how your question could have one answer but my pen is for my kennel only.It is not intended to make money.It is very much a great expense. It is used to condition and train field trial hounds to compete.As far as public or private goes I think if a man builds a pen its his choice how to run it..Its not wrong or right either way.

I read all this about these pens an how much they cost owners I have owned three now I will say this it cost More now to get a dog in the shape he needs to be in to compete not owning a pen when I am trying to get one ready ( which does not happen very often ) usely I try to run five dogs. Three days a week that is 75 dollars a week 300 in a month an this don't even count trying to run pups which make that higher so with that being said it don't cost that to own an run a pen because u factor in your dog running in your pen so I would say a man that does not own a pen a he goes to a hunt an win I think he has more in it than a pen owner does an I know there is a lot going to say build a pen the cost is higher but how many dogs u run a year well just 5 dogs that is 3600 in a year it would not take long to build your own pen an this is even buying game for your pen feed an if u let just a few dogs a week run that will pay game an feed anyway u figure it (10) deer dogs a week approximately look at these hunt results for the past year 90 percent is pen owners it is sad to say this sport has gone to that if u don't have that kind of money to spend u are wasting time a normal man that loves this an works every day at a normal job can not do this just look all the kennels pairing up when that happen they can afford to build a pen an for the one that say I own my pen an it is costing them more than it is worth that is not true no one will have a business that cost more than it makes because if so u will run out of money just look at our government lol now let the bashing begin

I spend over $300 a month on coyote feed hunt man.And don't book this pen.What's it to u what anybody has for themselves? This is typical jealousy towards people who work hard to have something they enjoy.Shame on you .

No it is not jealous ok u spend 300 a month on feed if that is true u have a good size pen an that is about 200 pounds of feed a week u say U feed your yots that much come on now an don't book your pen u could very well book a few deer dogs a week to pay that an yes u have to be selective on who u let run because there are some that go to see how many they can catch but u would spend that if u had to go run your at someone else pen an also not being able to run when u want only when u can get in an how many people you know could aford that I am happy you can an anyone else but it just gets old when u hear my pen cost it does not make money but it will take care of it self as for as feed game I know they cost but it does not cost what that say because if look at how many u run a week after week then see what it would take to go somewhere an run them man the numbers are there if think I am wrong show me

Well mr Hunt . Why all you have to do during the week is run your dogs 3- times a week to get them ready for a hunt try owning a pen and you might not have time to get ready for a hunt now I'm not going to sit here and say that a pen don't make money cause they can and they will if ran correctly but as far as cost what about fence patches , insulators, hot wire , feed , game , light bill , water bill , fence chargers , camp , coffee, sugar, creamer, toilet paper , light bulbs ,chairs , beds ,linen ,cups , cleaning camp , riding fence a few times a week , feeding game , locating game , buying game , bush hogging , spraying fence , diesel for tractor, tractor , keeping up with roads , lease , insurance,that's just to name some expenses and time there then when all that's done you have to try and get your own dogs ready for a hunt so I think you might want to rethink your message that a person spends more just getting dogs ready !! Happy Hunting and as always God Bless !! If you need a pen to book mine is not private call for bookings starting late December 985-969-7944

To the man that posted as Hunt, ,,,I can't understand your logic.Private means personal use.There is no profit objective.I understand your frustration. It is why some of us sacrifice to run our hounds and take care and treat the game well and keep it rested.Your idea of extra hounds covering costs causes the need for more game and more feed and more problems.It never ads up. We make choices with our finances. Some choose to manage their own pen.It is no different than you buying a house, farm or expensive four wheel drive.

Travis u r right they can pay for them selfs an the riding the fence fixing what is needed u turn your dogs lose check the fence if u are on top of the fence that don't take long an bush hog what three four time a summer fix roads how many times a year a few these are not thing u do every day an as for as the camp that is just your choice an don't take that the wrong way because the camp is not needed feeding the game just a few min now locating game that is the rough part that is on my opinion the hardest part of owning one so no I don't have to rethink my statement lease insurance you send a check that once a year man I own a pen now I know what it takes i do everything you exempt the camp all I was saying is it just gets old hearing how bad it is owning one an how they cost ya ya like u said if u run it like it supposed to it will pay for it self but I got to give it to u are the first I heard say that now don't say u have all that to do then try to run dogs because that is not true o yea the light bill is about 80 a month comes out my account I never have to worry about it

Hunt hunt Hunt hunt why don't y'all shut up and go hunt!! I'm part owner in one pen pretty much have free reins to another and I rarely run at either I enjoy traveling minutes to several hours just to listen and watch my hounds run and I'm not crying I do it out of enjoyment!! Maybe you should take up bird watching good set of binoculars few hundred bucks *should last several years* bird feed little to nothing cost of not reading your crys wines and belly ache's priceless!!

What if all the pens where private mr Vicario . You dam sure wouldn't be traveling would you .

Any of you Mississippi folks looking for coyotes or a few greys give me a call or text 601-394-9310.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

Kelly, Travis, there is no use trying to explain yourself, to someone that can not understand. Running your dogs in the local fox pen, riding the fence while your dogs are running, picking up your trash, and making it to a bay before the coyote is shredded, is all very helpful and every owner appreciates it. But that equates to understanding how a pen works, much like your new girl friend from the inner city, saying she knows you hunt and it will not a problem when y'all marry! :). NO CLUE
Super Bowl Sunday four years ago, we had bad storm two days before, my wife and I were working cutting trees off fence and rebuilding wire that Saturday and Sunday. I had four different hunters call, two wanted to rabbit hunt and two wanted to duck on a separate piece of property I have, Marcey and I cut trees and built fence till dark. I talked to 4 hunters, that wanted to hunt elsewhere, 3, that wanted to run dogs, and at the time I was not charging anyone to run, because we were conditioning game, but none offered to help or, to even bring me a cold drink. The next morning, After a lot of planning, and research, I got it figured out to where, it don't cost any of you no name poster a **** dime. I locked the gate.

Hunters got the same % of bums as any other group out there.some kiss up and stab back .jealous and lazy.they buy the toys they want to play with and want a pen to let them play for $5 a dog.....we need be very thankful to these pen men who allow hunters in.. With out them ,no way no how. As far as private pens its their BIZZZZZ..They don't want be around the bull from the bums..I don't blame them.Some dog hunters got zero respect for the other man.

Heck I like the idea of paying more for a dog to run. Maybe then guys would be a little more honest judge of their dogs and not pay time after time to bring a bunch of road runners to a pen.

They even break in your pen steal your 4 - wheeler you ride the fence with then they bust money box open an steal all that ... Not to mention all the things that was said above !!! All I ever asked was pick up behind your self an can't even get that right so it's so much easier when the only one you have to deal with is yourself ..

So what do y'all think is a fair price per dog

...I remember the Foxcliff pen ads in 1983 that said " don't bring all your hounds, just your best" quantity is not quality......and it was $5 in 1983....

Enrty fees go up why cant running fees?

Im not posting my name on this so Im not argueing with no name whinning cry babies.Why is this such a no name post.I really repect you guys that have posted your names with y'alls opinions.All the ones that posted there names are actually pens owners.

If us as hunters would respect each other & help take care of others property it would be much much better sport.I have had a pen & luckly I have 3 pens which is 20-30mins from my house.It is much easier for me to pay to run than to own a pen.Not saying its cheaper cause I run my dogs three x out of every 8 days.So its expensive.I also volunteer to help the pen owner help as much as possible cause there is always something to do.

If a man is letting you run in his pen he is doing you a favor.I let people run in mine and most are older gentleman that are very fine men.Also some younger guys are good folks.But there is always the man never satisfied with the running and dont leave his money in the box. Maybe its his bloodlines he is running and not the lack of game.But it gets old hearing complaints. And you can't run 7 days a week without restocking constantly.I am close to going private.

Will it's fixing g to be pen owners running against pen owners in field trials. That's fact so when the numbers get down 10 dogs hunt y'all pen owners will be sorry then.

I dont usuall comment to no name post but i will this time.I still charge 3 dollars a puppy when every body else has went up and we shut our pens down for two months during dog season for local hunters two enjoy there deer hounds on outside.so mr i bet have you ever feed forty coyotes for two months probably not.The other comment you made about me bashing private pens.I am not big fan of it but i do understand where they are coming from dealing with the public.The only way to weed the bad hunters out that trash your pen is to tell them not come back.

This is probably one of the most ignorant postings I've ever seen. It's like getting mad because your buddy has a good looking wife and he won't let you lay up with her. It's the owners pen. Quit complaining. You sound like a 8 year old spoiled brat

I thank Mr. Truth hit it just right. Its that way right now if you look at the posted results each week. We have to beg to come run each sat morning for a max of no more than 3 hours. And yall run 2 days a week or maybe 3. Or have your own and not let anyone run at all. Then come hunt day yall blow us away plus win the Calcutta money. No its not our breeding program either. We mostly have the same blood as yall have we just do not get to run them to be able to compete. So go ahead and make them all private yall continue to see 30 dogs in each class show up week after week like it does now. We will get fed up with it one day then yall can have it all to yourselves. Someone will get mad at this but you all no its the truth. Truth hurts sometimes. Sad day in fox hunting is right now.

Ban the private pen owners from pens that aren't private. Let them play wit themselves in their own little private pens lol

Simple fix man,,,,. Go buy you some wire and get with it instead of stirring up bull between hunters.

1 2