​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppies and deer meat?

Got 4 puppies that are 3 months old. Been fed Blue bag showtime since they was 4weeks old. I have fed it to lots of pups with no problems at all. We killed a few deer this passed weekend so I had a good amount of deer meat scraps that I decided to feed to these pups. For 3 days I feed them nothing but deer meat (kept in a fridge). The 4th day all of there front legs are bowed out very bad. They hardly can walk. But there is no pain they act normal but there legs are bowed pretty bad. Had to be the deer meat?? It's the only thang that has changed. Any thought on this subject??

Re: Puppies and deer meat?

104.1 grams of protein in 1 pound of raw deer meat. I would have to say its to much protein. Cut back on the amount. There legs should straighten up.

Sounds like they have the rickets. You can treat them with cod liver oil pills. Google rickets in dogs and I think you will see that is what they have. It is treatable and you can cure it as long as they are less than 6 months old.

Thanks Paul, I looked it up and I thank you are right. Any idea of how much and how often to give the oil? I looked them up Walmart sales piles for $3 a bottle. Thanks

2 or 3 cans of sardines will straighten em up also if it's rickets.

2 pills a day for 2 weeks. It works best if you give 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening. It can cause their bowels to be messed up.

Thanks.

Gave them 1 cc Cod liver oil last night. They could not even walk they was bowed out bad. This morning went to give 1 more cc and they came running out to meet me. Probably 95% better. It worked with one dose. Thanks for everyone help.

Jimmy, glad that they look better but I think you need to keep treating them. Before I ever found out what was wrong with a litter of my pups, one day they would almost look normal and then the next day look terrible. If they were mine I would continue to treat them. Good luck.

Yes I gave more tis morning. I will continue for a while. Thanks again.