​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
sores on dog

got a gyp here that has some staph like places coming out , coupla on her side that's round not swelled or pus in them but wet looking, same gyp has a few places on her ear, one place had a knot on it that swelled and busted with puss, never seen anything like it and seems to be sore , has anyone encountered anything like this , and what did u do to stop the spread, seems like when she shakes her head the ears hit the top of her head and now a place coming there, she is quarantined away from other dogs so not to be spread, this day and time seems like all kinda stuff for them to get , bacteria, staph infections , u name it its there , any help would be appreciated, have a buddy with one that has same thing, vet prescribed him antibotis abt 2 weeks ago and there not helping !

Re: sores on dog

Sodium iodide. 5cc down the throat for 3 days in a row

I have had this issue for a couple years as well. Tried antibiotics with no luck. Did the sodium iodide several times, always seems to dry it up for a month or 2 but then comes back..

Try mosquito spray. Works for me.

Be sure it's got plenty of deet in it. It'll dry up and be gone.

I swabbed the sores with cut-n- heal and I cleaned up.

Brian, I have one that was eat up with that mess. I had to quit running him for 2 months. Nothing worked until I use sodium idine 3cc down the mouth for 5 days cephalexin twice a day for week. It's gone now.

Athletes foot spray worked for me have also used organic iodine in drinking water and the spray. Good luck.

One half teaspoon Organic Iodine 20 in feed for awhile , then one teaspoon three days in a row once a month . This worked for us on hot spots and fungus between the toes .

where can u get sodium iodine . googled it but not seeing it anywhere

The name of it sodium iodide, not iodine. Hope this helps.

There is one way and one way only to get this bacterial/fungal infection out of them and it's 3ccs of Sodium Iodide straight into the Vein once evry 5 days 4 times and it will be gone. This process is aggravating I'll admit but from someone who has literally tried it all evry way to try This Is the Only True Way to get rid of the problem good luck !!!!

seems everyone having some sort of problem with it. I believe its caused from administering prednisone and dexamethasone to dogs. these 2 Corticosteroids surpress the immune system allowing this virus to take over.

I agree with your hypothesis about the steroids but I've got three with it now that I raised and they've never been given a steroid in their life. It seems to lower the dogs stamina as well as appetite, I've given all three 3 cc sodium iodide for four days. The sores got better but seem to be coming back. My question is how fast can I repeat the treatment? Thanks Mike

The organic iodine works best and is a lot easier to fool with.

Brian, when you get tired of fooling with sodium iodide get you a can of mosquito spray with deet. Spray each sore once or twice and you can run em by weekend !!!!

Which brand? Cutter is 25%. Thanks

I use OFF with 25 % but any should work as long as it has deet.

thanks everyone for the outstanding info , really really appreciate it, it does make the dog where they don't want to eat , and I believe it must be really sore , have one with it didnt take her for 2 weeks , and wouldn't hardly eat , fed her salmon everyday , she finally started eating again and fattened back up a little , I thought it was the feed , now another has it on her ears and down the side, nothing I have used will stop it and I haven't just started in the past 20n years with hounds ! never seen stuff like this, just makes u wonder whats rolling down the pipe to have next with all these crazy viruses and stuff that's out there today . thanks again everybody

Sodium Iodide is the way to go. Either 5cc down the throat or 3cc in the vein every 7 days. Don't just give it one week. Give it until the sores completely dry up and start to heal.