​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ATTENTION MS DOG HUNTERS!!!

Attached I have a link to a proposed rule change to the Nuisance Animal Regulations that will prohibit you from running coyotes, fox, hogs etc. during the off season, and completely shut down all night time running. If you click on the link you'll find both the phone number, and email address where you can call or write in and try to get this regulation stopped. This could effect the hunts held in Grenada, camp Shelby and all other field trials held in government woods so even if you don't live in MS please click on the link and do what you can to let your voice be heard. This is not a scam and isn't something that should be passed by with ease. If you are a hunter of any kind, please take a moment and help us make a stand before it's too late.
Thank you,
Chad Hession

Link to proposed regulation:
http://www.mdwfp.com/mdwfp-news/press-releases/wildlife-hunting/proposed-changes-to-nuisance-animal-regulations.aspx

Re: ATTENTION MS DOG HUNTERS!!!

If we get this overturned I think we need to work with our politicians to get legislature making the right to train our dogs a law. Every year we wait on the other side to pull a stunt like this and then we play defense trying to get it overturned. I am as guilty as anyone, but I think if we get past this everyone needs to get with the MHDA and our legislature and get something written up to prevent the MDWFP from even having a chance to push a rule like this.

DONT FORGET THE U S FOREST SERVICE IS BEHIND THIS TOO! THEY HATE DOGS AND DOG HUNTERS LIKE OBAMA HATES CHRISTIANS.

Guys there is bill that's in committee now between the house & senate that will take away the US Forest service power over hunting regulations in Arkansas , Louisiana & Mississippi but only thing is Matthew Scott secatary of Mississippi dog hunters association listed all 6 of Mississippi National forest on the amendment we all have attached to sportsmens heritage act but somewhere in process Representation for Mississippi only named the Desoto National Forest & left the other 5 national forest in Mississippi off. But one thing I've learned being in law suit myself against the US Forest service the last 5 yrs is they have unlimited resources & it's all on our buck. Majority of our politians will whisper in your ear & **** in your pocket at the same time. But guys take the time click on link & send them a message & keep fighting 👍

If anyone needs a list of miss senators, reps and their contacts just get me your email address. I'll send them to you. You don't have to be a resident. We need all the help we can get. I encourage everyone to send your comments to this email address Sharon@mdwfp.state.ms.us.

Danial I think the email address is sharonP@mdwfp.state.ms.us

If you will email that list to logan.lee20@yahoo.com

Daniel please email me the list and the email address Logan posted is the correct one. rwzjohnson@yahoo.com

Yes y'all are correct. Sharonp@mdwfp.state.ms.us

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/2016/07/06/proposed-nuisance-animal-hunting-regs-cause-confusion/86753722/

I'd read this before spreading any false info.

I wish I knew how to copy an email to this post that I received from Chad the Director of MWFP but I don't . But if the rule is changed it will be against the law to run fox and coyotes on National Forrest land in Missisdippi except during deer season with dogs and at the close of premitive weapon season until the last day of February. All dog running at night will be against the law except for the summer raccoon season. June through September. I have the email if someone knows how to post it. We all need to stick together and make sure it's NOT passed!! Ray 601-270-6197 rwzjohnson@yahoo.com

Mr. Johnson,

Fox and coyotes are classified as nuisance animals. The proposed rule states the following: “Nuisance animal hunting with dogs is allowed during any deer hunting with dogs season during daylight hours only. Additionally, nuisance animal hunting with dogs is allowed following the close of the last primitive weapon deer season until last day of February with weapons and ammunition legal for small game during daylight hours only.”

Hunting can be defined as the activity or sport of pursuing game. Even though you may have no intent of killing the animal you are pursuing, your dogs could catch and kill the animals. So the only times you could run fox / coyote hounds on National Forest Lands are during any deer hunting with dogs season and from the close of the last primitive weapon season until the last day of February. And only during daylight hours at that time.

I hope this answers your question and thank you for your interest in Mississippi’s outdoors.

Chad

601.432.2177 (w) | chad.dacus@mdwfp.state.ms.us | www.mdwfp.com

Mississippi Dept. of Wildlife, Fisheries, & Parks
1505 Eastover Drive
Jackson, MS 39211

Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 9:44 AM
To: Chad Dacus
Subject: Question on running hounds

See Mr. Johnson’s question below.

It is unclear if I can run my Fox / Coyote hounds on National Forest land at night. I run my hounds only to enjoy the race and to condition my hounds, I do not carry a gun with the intent to shoot any animals. I do carry a hand gun for personal protection only. Please clarify. Ray Johnson

I think old Chad is a big anti-dog man. I was at a meeting in Jackson, and I believe he was the one in the meeting that was arrogant and RUDE. Why can't you run at night? [ I guess the forest people only work in the daytime, so if you run at night they would not be around to harass people.]

Iv hunted the Forrest for the better part of 10 yrs. nearly every week. I hunt mostly night and early morning hours. I try to run fox, coyote, and cat. I usually knock it off during deer and turkey season. May go occasionally during those seasons. Over the past 10 yrs I've acquired a pretty good picture of what goes on in the part I hunt, which is west of hwy 33 and north of 563. There is enough game there to keep me sadisified. The reasoner the rule change as I understand it was safety, animal resources,and public relations. I can't vouch much for the other part of the Forrest but the part I hunt is used very little by the General public. I never see anyone but me and occasionally a local resident going to work or to the store. I see no hikers, bicycles or campers. I see no hunters during that time but me. during turkey season there are a few out of state vehicles other than Louisiana. I'm surprised at how little this Forrest is used by the General public because it is a very pretty piece of land. Let me talk about the safety part, I've never seen an accident of any kind in 10 yrs. let me talk about the animal resource, I can put two strike dogs on my box an they will strike game of some kind in just a few minutes and do that all night if I want to. There is abundant game all over. Let me talk about public relations, for the most part I have been treated as home folks. The locals are happy I'm running nuisence animals. I have a good relation with the local state game warden and every time I talk to a federal employee the are happy to see me. I'm confused, where is the problem. i invite anyone from that commission to call me and let's go hunting to see for yourselves. I'm not making this up . We can stay at my camp on my dollar..

Contact info: James McMahan
Cell. 225 505 8918
Camp. 601 639 7465 leave message I'm there one or two nights a week

I beg that the governing bodies reconsider this proposal or at least dig a little deeper to address the problem. This proposal will be a huge burden on people that are not part of any kind of problem .

Talk to Senator Moran this morning. The proposed ban on coyote, fox hunting on forest land has been drop due to emergency conference meeting this morning .good hunting

The Louisiana sportsmans alliance has been pushing a bill (sportsmans bill) in the U. S. Congress that would make all federal lands subject to the state rules and regulations in the states of Arkansas, Louisiana and Mississippi, I.e. Dog hunting for hogs, squirrels, deer, rabbits and still hunting of these species. When we met with our congressmen all of the federal lands in Arkansas, Louisiana and Mississippi would be on this bill. It has come to our attention that all but one area was removed from the Mississippi federal lands by one of the congessman from Mississippi. The bill is currently in conference before being presented for a vote. You Mississippi hunters need to contact your congressmen and have all the federal lands in Mississippi added to the bill. This will insure that the federal lands in Mississippi will have to follow state regulations as far as seasons dates, limits etc.
Mike Martin
318-990-1322
LSA board member

The rule change proposal has been resended. They voted to not accept the proposal (at this time). So we won the battle, but we haven't won the war yet. Keep sending your letters and emails. I understand that there was something about "researching this issue further" so we all know what that means....... They will regroup and hit us doghunters from a different angle.

Senator Moran and representive Timmie Ladner introduced a bill last year to make it a right to hunt in the State of MS For more info call Senator Moran at 228 861 3700 Good Hunting from Senator Moran

You guys are talking about a state law that would have prevented your hunting, if I had to guess started by the Feds. The sportsman bill will take the Feds out of the equation they will be mandated to follow state law on open dates, bag limits etc. the bill in its original form included all federal lands in Mississippi, but all but one area was removed by a Mississippi congressman from around the Jackson area, is the word we got. This bill is in committee now, we've been told it could easily be amended while in committee but it will require one of your Mississippi congressman to make the amendment. You all need to call your congressmen and push for the addition of Mississippi land back on the bill.

Has the proposal been dropped or will it be back up in30 days? Does anyone know for sure?

I think it has been dropped, but if someone knows more keep us informed