​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hookworms

What do you recommend for getting rid of hookworms?

Re: Hookworms

Pyrantel paomate.

Thank you. How much do you give? Do you give them multiple doses?

Use the Safeguard goat wormer liquid or the paste for horses. The liquid should be dosed at 1cc per 4.4 lbs of puppy. Most be done 3 days in a row.
Pyrantel is good for some worms but for hookworms the Safeguard (fenbendazole) is the best.

Thank you.

I give 5-6 cc of pyrantel then follow up with the same dose 7 or 8 days later.

I agree with Hunter, 1 cc per 10 pounds and follow up in 8 to 10 days. Do this about every 10 to 12 weeks. Gets ALL hooks and rounds. Great for pups. Very mild and easy on the hound:)

Maybe we have tougher bloodlines of worms over here but the pyrantel pamoate (Nemex type) wormer will not kill the worms that make a puppy weak and anemic (which I assume are hookworms, but could be wrong). The bottle says it will kill them all and I admit pyrantel works beautifully on the stomach worms (round worms that look like noodles) but I have dosed and dosed and overdosed with pyrantel here at home and had puppies to die from worms. The fenbendazole will not fail and it also kills girardia and other bugs that sometimes afflict young puppies.
You can buy the pyrantel from Columbia Laboratories for really really cheap. Without a doubt the cheapest wormer to buy and I use it as well but if you have a hookworm problem then be careful putting too much faith in it. It has cost me several puppies.

I think some strains of worms develop a resistance to some wormers like bacteria adapt to the antibacterial meds. Could be that I am fighting a resistant strain of worms over here.

I agree with Heath The panacur granules are the only way to really get rid of them three days in a row the liquid will get some but not strong enough to get them all just took some to the vet today and had been giving them the liquid for 9 days straight and I still lost one hope this helps

I would also give doxycycline with the wormer if you know they have worms. It will help them recover much sooner and possible save them if they are full of worms.

Brandon, do you purchase the Panacur granules from your local veterinarian? I have always used the liquid formulation of Panacur. Can and will switch to the granules if they are more potent than what the liquid is. Can you order the granules thru a mail order catalog? A hound supply company? Any and all info/intel is appreciated. Thanks, Chuck Richey, southern Illinois.

I get it from my vet it's about $400 for a container I have seen it on other websites just easier for me to get it from my vet

I use the pyrantel from coloumbia lab and something with fenbendezol (bad spelling) like safeguard on the next worming to make sure I get everything. I use the safeguard 3 days in a row like everyone suggest but had a vet tell me the most important thing to do is give the pups another dose 8 to 10 days later. If you have worms they are hard to get rid of. Gotta stay after them like fleas. I agree 100 percent with above post that worms are getting tougher every year to control and get rid of.

I've had same problem with hookworms last 2 litters. When they get on ground and about 10 to 12 weeks old it hits em. Pyrantel won't do it safeguard hasn't worked and have even tried Valbazen for a week with minimal success. The only thing I've found to work is a wormer called quest. I agree hookworms been bad and I think they build a tolerance to certain wormers. I don't give pups much of the quest at most 3/4 cc.to much you can have problems.

the pyrantel pamoate in nemex is only 4.28mg/ml.like pouring water down throat.get the 50mg/ml and it'll get them,even in grown dogs. i get it from my vet for $35 for 32 ounce bottle

Yes Ron, I do the same thing and mix ivomec with the pyrantel to protect against heart worms.

No doxycycline till 1 year old will ruin their teeth call your vet for further info Good Huntiin

Use amoxicillin instead Good Luck

I been using synanthic and it gets everything but heart worms. You can buy 500 cc of 22% for 120 bucks on eBay, 1 1/2 cc per grown dog. It's the top rated wormer a veterinarian hand book I have and it works

I've found that I have to rotate what I use as a basic wormer for the best results now, almost like you do when worming horses! I rotate back and forth between pyrantel and fenbendazole (Safeguard) for hookworms. 3 days of Safeguard was always my go-to, but last year I noticed it not working as well. Have had no issues now that I rotate. For what it is worth I don't worm every 30 days all year long due to resistance issues, and I have very healthy dogs as a rule.

Keith how muc do you give ten week old Puppie

Keith 1.5 cc per dog r per 5lbs?

BRANDON HOW DO YOU DO THE GRANULES ON THERE FOOD ARE DOWN THERE THROAT AND HOW MANY DOGS WILL A TUB DO. THANKS

It's easiest on can food with gravy so they get it all I did about 10 or 12 hounds three or four times (3 days in a row)in a year last time I used it I had switched to the liquid because it is easier but not as affective on the pups my grown dogs look good on the liquid but it maybe because I got them clean with the granules when they were pups but now I'm battling puppies again and I have just been getting individual doses for them from the vet probaly been cheaper to go ahead and buy the tub to begin with and saved on vet bills hope this helps

I give the old dogs 1.5 to 2 cc total of the 22% and 3 cc of the 9% it don't take much
Puppies shouldn't need but a drop