​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Scoring???

Pack of 5 dogs running full cry coming up out of a branch bottom in a single file line. Game has been seen going across the 2 acre field. How do you score it? The first place spot changes 3 times before they exit the field. Do you score it as soon as they enter field or when position changes or the way they exit the field?

Re: Scoring???

You score it coming into the field.

Score it as soon as it comes into sight and score it again every time the order changes until they go out of sight. As long as you are using an interval system that throws out on time it works out fair. It might end up that all 5 dogs get a 35 point score out of it. Now if you are keeping all scores you have to limit yourself to make sure you don't over score the dogs that happen to be running in your part of the pen.

Thanks. Mr. Heath what are you meaning when you say over scoring the dogs in my area? We are to score all crossings at all times no matter which dogs they are right?

In a hunt where you are keeping all the scores, if you scored the same pack several times each time they came across the open field then you would end up scoring those dogs disproportionately more than the rest of the hounds in competition. Similar to the situation where 2 dogs get after a fox and run him in circles around you. At some point you have to use judgement to say those dogs don't need to be scored every time they cross if they are coming by you every few minutes for an hour.
If you use 10 minute intervals or 5 minute intervals then it self regulates so to speak. You can score ever crossing even if you are scoring the same race 20 times in 10 minutes. They only get to keep the best score per interval so you don't have to worry about them earning more points just because they were lucky enough to cross so many times in such a short time period.

I understand some of what your saying. But I would thank that in a hunt where every score counts that dogs that are running close to one judge should receive every point on every crossing. Yes seems unfair but like you said they are lucky enough to be there in that spot. I wouldn't just stop scoring them for the sake of not running the score up high. They doing there job. Please understand I am not trying to start an argument by no means. Just wanting some insight and helpful information. Thanks for your response.

If the hound is doing his job you do yours score em

Got another question. Pack of dogs coming to road an I've seen the game cross. First dog hits the road not saying a word goes across on game but is not giving mouth. How do you score it? Does he get the 35 or does the first one that comes barking get it? Or do you not score any dog? I find that as a fault an the dog should be scratched?

You should follow the rules that are put together by the governing board for that hunt. If it's a master's or crha' read their rules and follow them accordingly. Your opinion is not valid to judge by except for your own purposes such as culling from your pen. The contestants paid money to run udder those rules. If you disagree with the set rules don't judge. Follow the rules set and let the crap stirring opinions fade away. The champions for each organization are different as so by the rules not a judges opinion on if he is barking or farting. Your dog can be a champ in your eyes but to carry the title backed by these organizations it has to meet their standards. Period not you culling criteria. Score and scratch by the set rules not opinion.