​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Discussion on Grade 1 hunts

I am going to ask a crazy question. What is the reason behind having Grade 1 1 hunts?

I know what the obvious answer is. Is its to attract the best hounds in the Country for one big hunt and with a higher points for Hoy. But if this is truly the case why are most of the Grade 1 hunts held close together? This year was a prime example. The Top Gun American Invitational and World Cup was held with in a month of each other. If our goal is to see who has the best hound should the hunts not be spaced out so hunters could have enough time to attend multiple Grade 1 hunts? And have their hounds in shape and ready?

Re: Discussion on Grade 1 hunts

You're mostly right about the reason for grade 1 Masters hunts but the reason for grade one National hunts is to recognize what most would agree is true which is that some hunts are more prestigious to win because of their history. The Masters can control somewhat the dates of their corporate hunts and I agree they should be spread out and for the most part they are. As for the National hunts there is no governing body that can influence when they hold their hunts except the board of directors or officers of each hunt. I do agree it would be better if all the big hunts were spread out more evenly. Sometimes you have IRHC, USO, and All American on top of each other. I guess everyone wants to have their hunt during what they consider the best time of year.

Good answer Hunter. True Sportsman and Genius.

Chris,
The Masters tries to work and spread out the trials as much as possible. We attempt to move trials back and forth between the east and west. We ask facilities for quotes and options for dates. Dependent on the dates offered by facilities, depends on when we can host a trial. The schedules don't always work for everyone. The Top Gun has typically been held in October. This year, with the trial being held on the East coast and the Virginia State and Nationals being held in October, we opted to have the trial in November. It suited the majority of the hunters to move it to November, Next year, the Top Gun will move back west and I already know there is an attempt to move the trial into September, but again it will depend on facility availability. We have the Masters in the spring, the Top Gun in the Fall and the World Cup and AIRHC at the end of the year. We go to the beach in the summer.

I understand that. It would be nice to see them spread out some more to give the hunters that have to travel and also time for the hounds to rest.
Cliff come summer time give me a call when your ready to go to the beach we have a spare bedroom and some extra Kennels. You can have the best of it all. We can fish enjoy the beach and run dogs.

Speaking of HOY points I wish there was another way to give credit where it's due... like an age system. We are rough on dogs no doubt and we are all trying to breed dogs that are competitive and that often is short lived honestly... I wish there was a way to reward a dog that received HOY points for three or more years with a little bonus to add onto their points... Also give the stud dogs and dams a lil more credit also when they are producing dogs that hold together and stay competitive up in age. This is just an idea and just throwing it out there

It would be interesting to see a rolling 3 year total for all hounds or a lifetime total for hounds. There are a bunch that have put two good years together and sometimes a hound will have a great run during the end of one year and the beginning of the next but doesn't have enough points in one calendar year to make the top of the list.

I nominate Heath Howell to keep up with the running totals and I vote nominations cease

That part would be easy. Just take the totals from work that Clif has done and put 3 years worth together, sort by name and add the totals together. I can probably do it from info posted on Masterfox. I might try it.

I would like to see the total number of derby and all age count toward the number of hounds entered for points. I know a lot won't agree, but the derby dogs make a big difference in the running the first 2 days. There were several hunts that would have been upgraded to another grade level if the total number of dogs would have included derby dogs. The derby dogs can make a big difference in the out come of the first 2 days of the hunt. I saw a derby dog that was rolling and usually up front but his number was real bad. The judges had to quit scoring on that crossing when that dog was there and that messed up several all age dogs. This is just one example of a derby interfering with your chances of winning, so why not count them towards number of hounds entered?

The entire grading system is flawed. It behooves the Leaderboard Committee to establish a points system for truly deciding the best of the OY's. I encourage the leaderboard committee to continually host a public forum for discussion of interests and changes to leaderboard rules and guidelines. Most importantly, I challenge the leaderboard committee to forego monetary interests when discussing and establishing leaderboard rules and intentions.

Happy Hunting!

And what "monetary interests" might those be?

Terry Walker,

Most specifically, I'm referencing the franchise agreement contracts. I'm willing to discuss in further detail. Regardless of my opinions, I commend the leaderboard for drawing greater interest and popularity for those competing to be the best among the foxhunting community.

Best,
Todd Miller

Have been watching with interest the topic introduced by Chris Powell and others about Grade one hunts.In Canada, just after the Master's set up operation, we held a few trials with Grade two classification that did not attract sufficient numbers to continue. So for the last several years we have a Master's Derby always on the first weekend of May. Our Rideau Club has been kicking around the possibility of applying for Grade One status for a trial held at mallen's pen in Ontario always on a set date (weekend) in either July or August.This trial would be called"Canadian International Masters".It would provide a venue within reasonable driving distance for the U.S. east Coast and even farther.Big question for us: Would we be supported by U.S. trialers?We would need this support to make a Grade One feasible that is of course if it is approved. A summer trial spreads the dates out. we have a great facility in a pen just under 700 acres and with lots of well conditioned coyotes. Brunswick has been here on and off for several years and they enjoy many from the south. And just think, you can trade in your $100 dollar bills for $130.00 Canadian. Bring the girls and turn them loose in Kingston shopping!Would appreciate any feedback positive or otherwise.