​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sick dog

I went to the hunt at Enon this weekend I got home and I had a gyp get down pretty bad she seems to be getting better but her eyes have turned blue /gray so does anyone have any idea what this is

Re: Sick dog

Yes been several sick
Said they may of gotten into a water hole with algea. Very bad stuff for dogs.

all the fresh water flowing through that pen bad water is ludicrous

If I had to guess it is the briars causing the eye issues. Vetrycn should clear that right up. With all the rain this year the briar crop is in full force. Antibiotics before, during, and after a hunt is what works for me. the running was as hard as I have seen in a long time. There are several theories and opinions of why dogs got sick. I know that both of my derby dogs were pretty banged up, but they are back running around the pen. I find it hard to believe the algea theory due to all the rain the week leading up to the hunt. If anyone has any more information or would like to discuss it feel free to call me (985) 351-5000. me nor the pen has anything to hide and I would like to get to the bottom of it.

If it was algae wouldn't the game have been sick before the hunt even started? Could it be they just dehydrated from the extrem heat? Or it was in the pre-hunt, during hunt pep talk?

Thank you John

I took the gyp to the vet she is fine NO algae No bacteria the vet said with all this rain no way of stagnant water, she was dehydrated he said probably over heated .The blue and grayish eyes are from scratches from the briars he gave me some ointment to put on them

We have had one die so far one is at the vet now in critical condition and they are running test and doing everything they can do. Got 3 more that were a little down but doing better. My vet said the Algae this is possible but wont know for sure yet. I would just love to know what it is that is causing this. The one that is sick you can rub her with your finger and the hair will fall out and start to bleed. It has me puzzled. If she dies she is going to be sent to the state lab for a autopsy.

Did he say what caused the feet to swell up so big ??

Joey, please give me a call when you get a chance. Thank you. 501-889-5118

Hate to hear about your lost but to give you the warm fuzzy about the pen. I pretty much recently raised five puppies @ Joe's from the puppy pen to big pen as of today and never brought them no where else due the way I work They just turned year old @ the end of last month I run all my grown dogs in big pen I personally never had a problem but a few fleas
I put them in about ever kennel they have. But this weekend was tough one I hydrated my gyp after the first, second and after the third hunt thanks to some advice besides being wore out she's doing good as of yesterday

Had the same problem at the big pen in manning. The vet told us that this time of the year the briars are full of poisons that can kill dogs especially after 3 days of running in them. We started giving antibiotics before an after a hunt and had no more problems

Can someone give me Joey's # with Twisted Oak Kennels. Thanks in advance....