​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question

Has anybody ever made a cross of a walker and pointer bird dog if so what was the results

Re: Question

Look at the old school hellums

If you gonna call one out, call them all out. They had a few back in our time.

But none of the big timers would admit it.

Have seen some for deer dogs , the owner told me he bred them , off a pointer , and seen some use them for hog dogs , they wont run as long as a true hound and not all bark much , but hunt like a machine and some hunt close , if you make them that way , good for deer in little clubs , with alot not running the game off very far

I've never seen any bird dog crosses for deer but them and mtn curs are both silent trackers so I'd assume if you bred them to a running hound you'd have less mouth but not sure on the limit of area or time they'd cover

I had two half walker and half weirmereneir that would run deer in the daytime and red fox at night I had them to where they would mind me better than my kids would. I could call them off a doe very easy, they ran fox as hard as any walker for six hours and could fly and bark every breath. Best handling dogs I ever owned. You have to train them the way you want them, only fault I knew was they were gun shy but if somebody shot at a deer and they quit I could put them right back on the deer. Super nose they would wind their game, heads up type dogs never had anything else that came close.

Yes it was done Jonesboro Ga. many years ago,I ran with the owners of the hounds their was only fox to run back then 1951 the cross put some speed in his hounds,but they did not have any mouth you just could hear them. I guess every thing has been tried, I seen Julys crossed with Greyhound that did not work. So I guess we got the best today with what ever ? the cross was Walker an short hair pointer. Ole GA Foxhunter Buddy