​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question about running hounds ?

Does anybody remember when we would turn out our dogs, they had to hunt for their game, maybe trail just a little, jump it and run with speed and had toughness to run all night? Nowadays they breed for speed and win money at these puppy hunts. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, if that's what you like to do.But just remember what we bred for back then. I would like your thoughts about this subject.

Re: Question about running hounds ?

Tony, if you start thim the right way and run them the right you will have dogs just like the ones you are talking about. Most dogs run and behave the way you train them. Dogs havnt changed much but their running inviroment has .

In my running of hounds at young age 83 the dogs are faster today,know very little about hunting and trailing only like to run roads an try to jump their game crossing road. If this fails come back thru camp and we say boy if he ever cross the road we gona run the heck outa him. I think if I run my hounds on outside I would hear very little running today however I think the world of my hounds they are outstanding jump dogs in pen. that is my opinion and its like ---- holes every body got one Thanks Buddy

This topic comes up way to often.

Watch what you say Tony about these speed dogs because these speed dogs fellows are sensitive when you say they can't hunt or trail game lol.