​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Are today's hounds faster then years past

Me and buddy are having a friendly debate, I think hounds have gotten faster from let's say 15 years ago and he thinks hounds haven't got any faster then years past. What's everyone's opinion on the subject?

Re: Are today's hounds faster then years past

I think they are faster but not as good of a track running hound

Don't know if they are faster but they are a lot sorrier.Plus all the hunting has been bred out of them nearly.

Mine sure aren't!

DOG OR NOT FASTER NOW THERE OR SMARTER HUNTER NOW A DAY EVEN THE OLDER ONE ARE CHANGING THAY DONT CARE WHAT A DOG DOES AS LONG AS HE OR SHE SCORE A BUNCH OF POINTS IVE OWN DOGS THAT WHEN WEWENT TO A HUNT WE OUT RAN DOGS THE FIRST HOUR AND THE 6TH HOUR AND THEY WAS NOT IN THE ROAD THEY STAY AFTER A PIECE OF GAME I QUIT FIELD TRIALING BECAUSE DOGS GRAB IT ANT CANT RUN A PIECE OF GAME TO THE NEXT CROSSING AND THESE DOG OR WINNING HUNT AND PEOPLE ARE BREEDING TO THESE TYPE OF DOGS AND PEN OWNER WONDER WAY ALL THERE GAME ARE GETTING KILLED IT SORRY DOGS GRABBING IT EVER TIME IT CR
OSSING A ROAD OR TRIAL SOME PEOPLE MY NOT LIKE WHAT IM WRITING BUT THE TRUTH

Be careful Travis you are telling the truth but these younger Hunters don't believe what you are saying or really care that it's the truth.

Most people that hunt today have never owned a good dog

I agree with stump,people today would see a dog trailing they would think it's babbling.But today's hound are made for speed and that's it.Just calling it like I see it.

Right on stump and Brian!

Hell fellows they don't care if they even barks long as it's first across the road. Back in the day we would try to buy him so we could sent him to the happy hunting grounds early!!

I should not stick my nose in this conversation. But ! It depends on how long YOU want them to run !!!
I like a hound that can run it for more than 3 or 4 hours. At the same time I don't dislike a hound that is super fast for 3 or 4 hours. Depends on what you're judging them for. Like anything that can run it fast. But I do like to hear them run for a little while. Lol !

If a hound grabs it in a road and can't run it to the next crossing? He want get a score if I'm judging . I consider myself to be a young hunter. And I know dogs grab it in roads. Some do it in the woods. And we have some that will do it wherever they have to. But they can run it when they get it. I don't think dogs are faster now . But there is tougher competition than it was years ago in my opinion. There is a lot of hunters that has a pretty good dog or two! A hound can only run game as fast as his nose will let him run it!! I know a lot of people that win and do good in hunts run there's on the outside. So I know some of them winning can run it. So let's go hunting !!! And last thing if you like what you are feeding ? I love it.

I agree with Brad that the hunting is almost gone in the dogs of today compared to the dogs from the 80's and 90's. I will also say that with all the restrictions on outside running and the general public against dog hunting in general, today's hunters have very little choice as to where to enjoy there hounds running. Also as most of us know, if there is any dog running countiously in the same pen that dog will get smarter than the game he/she is running and will make arrangements to its advantage.

The only real answer to satisfy most all hunters in my opinion is to start their own breeding program and try to breed what they consider a good hound should be, this could be speed,or hunting ability or both. Enjoy your hounds and happy hunting.

most dogs that place in these hunts now if u turn them loose by themselves they cannot jump a yote and run it by themselves for three hours if u think im wrong i challenge you to go cast that stud or field trial hound by itself and kick back and listen see actually how much time out of three hours its honestly driving the game then you can judge what you are feeding before your next breeding

that would be fun to watch lol.

I'm 24 years old but been around good hounds for all of them 24 years being my dad and grandpa have always wanted to be competitive do I think dogs have became faster yes I do for the past 10 years it's what people have bred for is that dog flying around so if you keep breeding for the genetic of speed you give up in tracking ability I have just gotten back into field trials in the past two years again hard and more then not your steady track running hound that's getting 30's 25's and 20's will keep adding points to the score board while the head hunter is in the road waiting on the next to come by now I'll be honest the young hunter remark little personal to me I run on the outside 75% of the time if the dog can't run a wolf right on the outside where it counts he won't stay here and if I pay entry fee to a couple hunts he don't stay here I don't pay an entry to clap sorry folks I'm here to win

Only reason I brought up the "younger hunters" comment is because if you tell it like it is most start bashing and coming with every excuse that they can think of to justify road runner hunting.If I offended you I apologize.I agree with a lot of comments on here just don't like most type of hounds winning these days.But I will make one more comment and don't mean to offend anyone but there are a lot of judges that don't know how to judge correctly.I realize judges are hard to get.Not bashing just what I have witnessed.I know I will get bashed for that but bash away.

I would say they are faster. It's like what Ty said. If you breed for speed, then it's obvious the speed is going to increase. With that being said, I do not believe they are better than yesterday's hounds. There's still few and far between that breed for complete well rounded hounds, and are really trying to improve their stock over all. Now if you look at those stocks of hounds I'm not sure you'd see faster within the past few years. Maybe a little better conditioned that would give them the advantage. What hurts is folks breeding to dogs they know nothing about. Knowing a field trial record, or the big name that owns him is not knowing a hound.

Let me add : Back in the day when we would run red fox 10 to 12 hours ( all night ) If a dog came out (quit) with the race still going on. That dog was a cull. He may have carried the mail ,so to speak,for a good portion of that race. But that was an embarrassment for him to quit. Now days people breed to that hound because of having different agendas.
My point is. Hounds are not faster than they use to be. We as hunters have made rules to accommodate that use to be cull.
And the Alpha has helped the hounds of today to have enough energy left to finish a 3 day hunt that they may not have finished before.

Mr Danny well said.

We got a race going right now and I don’t know if there cutting or will last all night, but I’m enjoying every second of it. That’s how we improve what we are running not this internet board. Now go cast some hounds and run something. Happy Hunting.

Brad I am the same age as you but I am still a young hunter😂 Dogs are different but so is hunting very different. This in the road dog ain't beating you as much as you think or he ain't in Road as much as you think. Lots of good dogs would hunt but don't get to or don't have to. Letum roll 👍

We ain't all that young reddot.Dogs haven't changed its the hunter's that changed and the way they are trained.People don't cull hounds like they should be including myself.We don't scratch at puppy hunts because they don't want to hurt so and so's feelings or they say oh they will quit babbling or whatever there doing wrong.But like Jamie said the environment has changed.I agree with that.Still like hunting wish I could go more but it is what it is.

With time and money involved - change is inevitable. All aspects of what we have been doing over the past 35 years have changed. My opinion only and just another thought process as it relates to the reason for so many changes from the base line that our fathers taught us back in the 60's.
Basically, The emphasis that surrounds hounds of which are less than 2.0 years old has dramatically increased over the years.
In our kennels - we do not enter any of our hounds in competition that is at least 3 days. Ideally, a fourth and even a fifth day of competition should be no problem for most all of our hounds.
With that being said - we think that it requires a whole different training/conditioning program for a hound to compete for said duration in lieu of just 1 or 2 days of same.
It has evolved to where what is done to allow you & your hound to "make money" at the derby level - is all a waste - because none of it contributes to what is required for a hound to develope the endurance that is required for competing multiple days.
also, the 1 and 2 day kennel/hound competition has dramatically increased with respect to how "it use to be" - therefore - that type of hound (not to mention/include the amount of smoke and mirror tactics that come with it) allows for more publicity. And remember, the more publicity & polliticing - the more the money. These type of hounds/competition id driven by personal gain not the betterment of breed.
The prestige of spending 5-7 days with family and friends in the woods and having a hound become a Field Champion is much more that winning a couple of 1 or 2 day puppy hunts. But then - you would have to "be in it" for the hound NOT the money.
Thank you for allowing me to add MY thoughts to this forum. Happy Hunting To All.

Now that was well spoken sir and I agree 100%.

I personally don't think they have it all depends on how the Hunter hunts his hounds and breeds them in my opinion I do believe, had hounds that were bred for nothing but speed and I personally put it to them every chance I got on the outside and on the inside and I seen them hunting and trailing as well as running so it's all in how you train them I will say this I do run mine longer on the outside than I do inside the wire if I go on the outside I'll let them run all night but in the pen I don't just my thoughts