​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
fast hound on GPS

What would a fast hound avg.speed be for 5 hours . I hear all kind of numbers .What do you think?????????????????? COMENTS

Re: fast hound on GPS

Depends on terrain size of Pen what style of Dog it is all different circumstances when your asking this question

I agree 100 percent ! But that average speed don't tell you nothing in my opinion. I don't even look at it anymore.

A good speed for a hound in a big fox pen. Will be 9 to 11mph. If you really know how to run your GPS. You can pick out your front line from your pack dogs. But every thing comes in to play.

On my alpha my dogs run at least 3 miles an average faster than they did on my 320. I always wondered why my buddy dogs average faster than mine and they were running side by side most of the day now I know why the Alpha picked up different than the 320.

All depend on type of dog I get around 9-12 where I run thick hilly pen and I run 3 day dogs

On the outside, in the thick brush on gray fox, where I hunt, 6-7 mph average is a good speed. Sometimes the hound that keeps getting thrown out and spends a lot of time trying to get back in the race (using the road and such) will cover more distance at a higher average speed than the hounds actually running the fox.
As said above, all depends on terrain, if hound is running game down a path, open woods, pasture compared to palmettos, scrub, briers and vines.

Come to Old 74 and run 9-11 MPH and you will win every hunt! LOL unless its in the Road. Watch your hounds and a lot of the time your slowest hound per Garmin will be running the most game. Just an Old Fat Mans opinion.