​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Hot Summer Night

This Past Thursday night (8-2-18) I made the drive up to TN to hunt with my ol Friend Johnnie P Grey and his Wife Jimmie. As I made the long 2.5 hour drive I was kinda down about it cause of the long drive it was and the last time up there we had only had fair running. Needless to say I pressed on and found that we had been blessed with a good rain that afternoon/evening and had cooled things down.

I made it up there and with little traffic in Chattanooga which was a huge blessing. We turned hounds loose at 9pm and took about 10 minutes or so to jump. We eat Tomatoes with a Pimento Cheese Sandwich for supper. After eating supper we went out to listen and I have finally broke down and purchased a new Garmin Alpha and I was excited to see exactly what that thing would tell about a hound.
We built up a little fire as it was damp and mosquitoes seemed awfully bad to me. As we sit and listen to the hounds run we took notice that we had a large Pack in the North end of the Pen and 4 or 5 hounds running in the south.

Time rocked on the hounds began to settle in and started helping one another like Walker Hounds are supposed to do.
Grey said to me about 1 am that he thought this could be as good as he had listen to in awhile and he sure was glad that he took a nap. We drove over to the tree stand and listen awhile as they was running over that way a good bit. We seen a piece of one crossing before heading back to the camp. I could tell neither one of us was wanting to go lay down but I knew we both needed to for we both have long drives back home, so we laid down about 2am.

We got up a little after 6am and the hounds was still singing a song and was really running like you want them too.
Ms Jimmie got breakfast started and we had Homegrown sausages and biscuits with eggs and tomatoes.

We went out to listen a little more and the hounds broke down close by so I begin to blow the horn. I was looking forward to using my new equipment but this time it was not needed as all the hounds just came in one by one like little soldiers. We loaded all our hounds and was totally caught up by 9am.

We truly had another blessing from the Lord as we both made it home safely. Now I am not telling you that we got the best dogs in the world, but this was one of them hunts when your proud of your dogs and your thankful for your friends and the time you get to spend with them and your hounds.

I know it’s a long way to hunt and and seems crazy to most folks to run a hound 10-12 hours, but we sure did enjoy it.
I trust enjoyed reading about another Ol Time Foxhunt.

Lord Bless
True Grit Kennel
Kyle Blakeley

Re: A Hot Summer Night

I could visualize all of the things you wrote about. I sure wished Peanut and I could have been with you boys last Thursday evening but I am glad you boys had another good hunt at Sweetwater, TN.

The Lord blessed me on Friday night to have a good one at the Pig Jig down in Lumpkin, GA. I don't know that I had as good as you boys did but I thought the hounds did pretty good...and had some pups that really did good.

Sure enjoy good hound dog music sometimes it gets rough especially in the hot weather having to take care of them and all that goes along with hounds but it sure is rewarding when you can get in a good chase and the hounds are in full cry it will make feeding them the next week a lot easier even if it is hot and humid.

So we press along...

True Grit,
Elmore County, AL