​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Do you score dog looking at game but not barking

I have not found a place in the rule book that says that that they have to bark,I have judged dogs in two or more crossings and never heard them bark.I think it makes it hard for dogs to get on them. I would not want to sit out all night listening for them.

She barks only time is when she is looking at game

Use to be hounds like this could be scratched for cunning running. Some rule changes should have not been made. Most true hunters prefer to hear their hounds barking when running game.

That is a broad subject. Like. Do you watch every dog in a crossing to see if they barking ? No I didn't think so. But don't get me wrong I like a dog to bark. But ???

It’s kinda like a barking fault in the Masters rules to me. The first time I see it I won’t think much of it, the 2nd time I’ll score him because I may just didn’t hear him barking. The 3rd and 4th he’s not getting scored on my pad.

On questionable decisions while judging in the field. Trust your experience and what you are comfortable with. Then most of all. KEEP IT TO YOURSELF ! DON'T go out talking about what you did or didn't do. Cause everyone won't agree with you.

Does it say in the rule book does the hound have to be barking to get scored

Y'all go ahead and crown your non-barking champion. That's a real foxhound and will greatly improve the breed.

These pen / field trial dogs are not real foxhounds anyway. Not what I grew up with running fox on the outside. OF COURSE you want a dog to bark. What I'm saying is there is no way to know if every dog in a pack is barking on a crossing. You may have a dog running 2nd all day and never bark. He can win a trial and be a champion. So if you score him
How can you not score one running by himself.What does the RULE BOOK say ? PS. I don't feed and will not feed a no barker myself and one that barks too much is just as bad. I'm just on here cause I don't have nothing else to do right now. Lol:sunglasses:

I agree with you Danny Mc .

To the ones saying the would not score them please show me in the ruld book where it says they have to bark or how often they have to bark. We all hunt to hear a good race.

But it is called speed and drive not bark and drive.

Maybe they didn’t put it in the rule book because they never dreamed we would one day put up with a hound that doesn’t bark.

The original question asked about them barking while looking at the game. I feel like that changes my opinion of the hound. If the dog is just out front but not looking at game then yes he better be barking, but if hes got his eyes on the game then hes in catch mode and I would be less judgemental. Thats just like when you have dogs baying and you go to bust it up and the game makes a break, a lot of dogs dont bark when they take off after him until he gets out of sight. I feel like those dogs that dont bark when they are looking at game are usually your dogs that really like to catch game and have figured out what they need to do to get ahold of it. Would I breed to a champion that didn't bark because he was looking at game 3 days in a row? Hell yes! I believe thats a fault I could put up with as long as he barked when he wasn't running on sight.

Well said Rambo Ranch !
Now for those not barking behind that first dog. And this is just for a little fun and humor. Bear Travis , for those of you who knew him will chuckle at this. He said and I quote. " A dog barking behind that 1st dog is running a covered track. And should be scratched " .
I bet that brings up another question as to what is running a covered track. And you can go on and on about the rules. But it still boils down to what I said earlier. Use your experience and best judgement and don't go out of the judges meeting talking about what you did while judging. Everyone won't agree with you. Some of the rules are cut and dried. Some are not. Like unbecoming of a champion. There again. Opinionated.

so that means if you had a 50 dog race you should only hear the lead dog barking????? that's foolish. if a dog never barked and you took him to run by himself you would have a silent chase lol and if he don't bark he better be up front because he's saving air that the other dogs are using while they are doing right. MOUTH is part of what makes a good hound. look at all the old stud ads in the chase, they all mention how good of a mouth the dog has

I like to hear a dog barking ,I want him to be looking at the game barking or not.

Can’t be said any better than that Cody Craig !If it has to shut up to run on the point it’s lacking something. I’ve heard to many that could and bark too !!!

I like a good mouth too. But. Had you rather have a dog barking like a cricket running on the front of that 50 dog pack. Or one barking with an outstanding mouth running in 50th spot in the pack.

A dog can’t help what it sounds like. I’ve seen a lot of dogs with good mouths that bark like they’re on the front. I’d rather the cricket mouth on the front if I had to choose I guess but not planning on feeding either one for long.

Lol ! I hear you Mr Charlie

It really doesn’t matter if one barks anymore . A man judging can’t scratch one if he is barking to much anymore! And dogs are a lot sorrier than they used to be !! Just saying

Anyone know how to get in touch with Edward Scott

Hard to have a race you can’t hear but thats why you hear all crying bout breeding that type dog

You are right on both statements Heath.

Unbecoming of a Champion!!!!!!!

My Grandpa Justin Dupre always told me that is a sign of a true wolf dog when he is looking at the game and not saying anything that hound has intentions on catching the game which is what you want not one that is happy bawling a track

I'm not a field trailer. Were after meat in these parts! I'd give a step of foot speed off any of my dogs too make sure they had good mouths. A good mouth is part of what makes the game move and can be the deciding factor on how the game move( running in the wild not a pen). If you're running tight mouthed dogs and you ain't catching what you're after on the regular, something ain't right!

X2 what James Mitchel said

BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE I POSTED HERE !! BUT HERE GOES !!! TO ANSWER THE ? ABOUT A HOUND BEENING SCORED WHILE NOT BARKING !! I DONT THINK IT MATTERS TODAY !! I ALWAYS LOVE TO MAKE EXAMPLES BUY
TELLING OF MY OWN EXPERINCES !! THE BEAR GRASS BOYS HAD A HOUND 35 YEARS AGO OFF OUR RITA GYP AND CAINS REBEL YELL OR CAIN GRASSHOPPER, SORRY I CANT RECALL THE SIRES NAME !! THE HOUND WAS BRENT !! BRENT WAS AS FAST AS A HANT AND DID PULL UP ON A RED AND IN OPEN GROUND HE HAS HELL !! BUT BRENT WOULD BARK TWICE ACROSS A PASTURE WHEN LOOKING AT GAME !! NOW THE DAM OF BRENT WOULD SPITT EM AND I CANT TELL YOU ABOUT THE SIRE !! AS I NEVER HUNTED WITH HIM. BRENT WAS BRED TO BECAUSE OF HIS SURE RAW ABILITY AND HE PRODUCED PUPS THAT SUITED MOST. NOW I CAN TELL YOU THIS IT MADE IT VERY HARD FOR HOUNDS TO COVER BRENT ONCE HE WOULD LOOK AT GAME !! TRUELY I BELIEVE THIS IS A LEARNED BEHAVIOR COMMON TO A SMART HOUND THAT HAS HIS MIND MADE UP TO PUT GAME ON THE TRUCK !! DO I BELIEVE A HOUND WILL PRODUCE NON BARKERS !! MOST LIKEY NOT !! DO I BELIVE THAT A HOUND THAT HAS THE ABILITY TO BE LOOKING AT GAME ALL THE TIME IS WORTHY OF BREEDING !!! HELL YEA !!! NOW !!! WITH THAT
BEENING SAID I HUNT OUTSIDE AND OUTSIDE ALONE !!! IT IS IMPORTANT FOR A HOUND TO BARK TO ME !! I CAN TEL YOU HOW CLOSE THEY ARE BY THE AMOUNT AND VOLUME THEY GIVE AND ANY GOOD HUNTER WILL
KNOW THIS !!! JUST MY THOUGHTS !!!

MLM