Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: liquor bred stud dogs

Jeff Almand
Another breeder who carried on the Liquor bloodlines was Mr James Dodson of South Carolina. He was the breeder Of Clems Whiskey and kept Liquor hounds from the 70s on that I know of
my dad was clem nettles and he owned clems whiskey

The sire of Simon flip-up is Liquor Deluxe

Mr Authur Hubbard kept Liquor hounds and Derek along with Simon Flip up and Liquor Deluxe there was Billie Bourbon and Beggar Bourbon and Red Ripper Liquor and Derek do you remember Double Liquor V. and Bear creek Tom W. and Happy Jack Cider. Also Mr Billy Ray Johnson had Helen Liquor (Fourche River Rambler) and a female called Brandy Liquor (Owens Cyclone ex Stephens Dorothy Ann)He won the S&D at USO I think it was 1971 with her.Brandy had a male mate that he was running called Rebel Liquor

Faulkners Ole Charter was another one

The man responsible for the start of liquor fame was Jim Owen of Branson ,Missouri owner of Owen Acres Knls in the 40's...he had Ozark Bourbon Liquor,Big tim liquor's gran sire.Ozark Bourbon Liquor was off the Raider hound Jo's Ghost and His dam was Mary Lou Allen ,she a gran pup of the first liquor named hound Red Liquor. I believe red liquor was off the Ky bred Alex,a mate hub Dawson...

On a personal life information note, you can word search James Mason Owen and Wikipedia has an over view of his life.A multi talented man rumored to be the creative idea of the Beverly hillbillies, and the father of tourism in Branson ,among other famous projects he promoted Ozark Bourbon Liquor into history mainly through a gran pup Wild Goose Diamond.

When you see a dog being advertised as a liquor bred dog in 2015, how much of the early strain can still be there? How much influence would a Jim Owen bred dog have in the making of a liquor dog today?

The old Liquor dogs west of the Ms. river were the Raider dogs east of the Ms. river.They all went back to Ray Raider...After the 50's both raider and liquor are all but a name possibly.

I remember the names Jeff. I was born in 1968. Just a kid when or a little before my time on some of those dogs.

What's some of the studs today that would be considered liquor? Since they not named liquor any more then how can we youngsters no it's liquor? Thanks.

Kyle Ladner and Brian Guyotte have some really good liquor studs. Jeff Almand, Leon Canoy, Wilbur Sims, and Claude Hinton have all had, bred, and raised some outstanding Liquor bred hounds. There's definitely more that could be added to that list, but that's just the ones that had the greatest influence on the hounds that I have at the house. Hope that helps you out some.

Laron Ladner kyle Ladner Kenneth wilson brian guyotte Leon canoy. They have a few of liquor bred dogs they are stud dogs.

Old Timer
Faulkners Ole Charter was another one

I bought my first Liquor bred paper dog from Leroy and James Dodson in 1979 off Faulkners Old Charter and Matties Lucky After he was started and got to going good he was never out run in my part of the country Best track dog fox or deer in that part of the country was bred too several times by locals and produced a lot of good hounds I never advertised him because he would not cast the second day but if you found a track deer or fox and stick his nose in it he would go and jump it for you. When he got older I just put him back of truck and ride down the logging roads and when he would bark you could stop and have a race. I went on too buy several hounds from the Dodsons, they were fine people. I have some of the bloodline left but not close but in my book for speed and nose, Liquor bloodline is the way to go. Just reading thru the message board that my son inlaw Tommy Gray directed me too and thought I would add my 2 cents. Rite now I think Kyle has the strongest liquor blood in our part of the world in South Mississippi. Hope all have a good weekend

Captain Trash standing by.

I remember when LJ Beasley of Terry, MS used to buy USO Champion stud hounds and breed them to Wild Goose Diamand gyps and sell the bred gyps and puppies. He did it for years. He had the most hounds I’ve ever seen in one kennel.
Curly Faulkner from far west Texas by the southeast corner of New Mexico went to Mr. Beasley’s place in 1972 and bought a gyp bred to Wild Goose Diamond is how Faulkner’s Old Charter came about. He always called him “Diamond”. Dad eventually bought Old Charter when he was about 6 years old after he had bucked his ankles. He advertised him a little and bred a few gyps to him. He later sold him to the Dodson’s in SC for $2k. He was a big beautiful 25 1/2” hound with as deep a chest as any show hound. He would run off with the coyote and be completely away from the rest of the hounds like two different races going on. I’ve seen it time and time again.

I forgot to mention, Old Charter had what many said was a million dollar squalling mouth. When he really got to driving his game he would let out a booming 4-5 second long squall then steady chop for a bit then squall again.

Rodney Terrebonne and Leon Canoy bred and ran some of the best Liquor hounds that’s ever sucked a breath in MS. Let’s don”t forget what they contributed to todays Liquor bred field trial dogs. Look at pedigrees on top hounds today Canoy and Terrebonne names will be in 90% of pedigrees

Al Mascher from Mt. Vernon, IL was a noted and long time breeder of this line of foxhounds. He owned several if not many of the more famous Liquor bred stallion hounds in the 1950's and 60's. Wayne Adams from Thompsonville, Il owned Simon Flip-Up for years just three miles from my place. I raised a litter sired by Simon and the offspring proved to be good hounds. I liked the Liquor bred hounds. southern Illinois.

THANKS to all of you what a great trip down memory lane . looking forward to more of this kind of post.

Jim Van Tilberg in Celina Ohio still has a lot of breeding that goes back to liquor blood. I don't believe he trials much if at all, more of an outside and pleasure hunter.

Here’s a picture of Owen Acres. My grandfather converted it into a house in the 70’s. I still live here.
60937332739__017EDFE1-367E-434D-B843-FE7C93B8FC55.JPG

It's always been topical and exciting to the hound lover to investigate territories and bloodlines. The train and railroads gave opportunity for the blood to move from state to state with ease. And one thing stayed the same. It took culling to produce a foxhound that was near average or close to above average.Names change and hunters pass away and the above average hound is still hard to create... Liquor or Raider or ole so and so came down to one thing,culling and best to best and more culling. Just as our modern day hound sees need for examination, the hounds with a title such as Raider or Liquor need a breeder who is honest with his feeding program. But history is what entertains the foxhunting society and without it we could not enjoy the old argument ,"Raider and liquor hounds are the same hounds"...it's an old old man's debate now,as there are no more of these old lines available.

From 1965 to 2019 I ran liquor bred hounds and all came from the above mentioned breeders. I went to Fayetteville,Arkansas and ran with the Southern brothers and bought several dogs from them. I liked the way they ran their game and barked at it and were always in a hurry.I had one off of Fourche River Rambler that was a really good one I thought. I bought Clem's Whiskey from Clem Nettles and he was a good hound. Sold him to Leon so he could use him for a stud dog and he produced some good hounds. I helped Mr.Beasley at his kennel for several yrs. and I had 2 females off of Wild Goose Diamond and Porters Redwing that I thought were as good as I ever owned. Those were some really good hunting years with some great hunters and great hounds and great friends. It brings back a lot of good memories and at one time years and years ago Jeff Almond said the best hound he ever owned he got from me. I think he was kidding but it was great fun.

I wasn't kidding and still consider Diamond as the best I ever owned. Never ran a deer and could jump a fox quicker than any hound I ever owned and you didn't have to hurry and get dogs to him as he needed no help to run it. Had a good mouth and speed. When I pulled up and several hunters were there trying to jump first thing they asked is did I have Diamond. When I said yes they said turn him loose and it wouldn't be long he would have a fox up and running. He could get under a red and put him to running faster than any hound I ever hunted with.

In 1971 or 1972 I went with my Dad and brother to Mr. BEASLEYS KENNEL and saw USO champion Wild Goose Diamond. To this day it was the most hounds I have ever seen at one time. Mr. BEASLEY POINTED OUT THE grave of Yazoo Baby Rose and said that there has never been a better dog to run a fox. Dad got a pup off of Diamond. At a year old we are pretty sure he was stolen in the woods. Dad loved his hounds. He came up poor and he said that when he was a young boy he said he would get a good pack of hounds when he grew up. He got that pack of hounds and he had some good ones. By the way Persey Flowers was famous for the Blue face Hatch game fowl also. Anybody out there ever heard of or knew Sweater McGinnis? If so, drop me a line.

Lamar Currie
From 1965 to 2019 I ran liquor bred hounds and all came from the above mentioned breeders. I went to Fayetteville,Arkansas and ran with the Southern brothers and bought several dogs from them. I liked the way they ran their game and barked at it and were always in a hurry.I had one off of Fourche River Rambler that was a really good one I thought. I bought Clem's Whiskey from Clem Nettles and he was a good hound. Sold him to Leon so he could use him for a stud dog and he produced some good hounds. I helped Mr.Beasley at his kennel for several yrs. and I had 2 females off of Wild Goose Diamond and Porters Redwing that I thought were as good as I ever owned. Those were some really good hunting years with some great hunters and great hounds and great friends. It brings back a lot of good memories and at one time years and years ago Jeff Almond said the best hound he ever owned he got from me. I think he was kidding but it was great fun.
my dad was clem nettles