Return to Website

Support for People With Mental Illnesses

none

Support for People With Mental Illnesses
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
prozac, depression, bi-polar

Hi, I'm new to the posts here and have found the site very helpful. I have a question I'm hoping some one with Prozac experience can help me with. I was just put on prozac two days ago. My therapist has been suggesting meds for a while now - as have previous therapists over the last several years. I've always leaned away from them for personal reasons/beliefs, but have finally sucumbed and I'm giving them a try. My therapist thinks I may have a mild mood disorder (bi-polar) and she wanted to put me on lithium. We compromised and I started 10mg of prozac instead (after hashing out the side effects of everything she listed). Eventually they may up the dose but that has been undetermined right now.

I was told by my dr. that if I have depression only then the chances of seeing any effects before two weeks is unlikely. If I'm dealing with a mood disorder then I may see effects as soon as a week. She also told me that anti-depressants such as Prozac can trigger manic episodes and she doesn't recommend them normally for bi-polar disorder for that reason. Since we are unsure yet what we are dealing with (I actually think she's convinced of what I have, but I'm not yet) she went ahead and gave me a low mg dosage to test it out. My concern is that I feel like I'm already being affected by it. This is what I'm experiencing after only two days of being on the medication:

1) I feel hyper - almost anxious - almost like I'm on caffeine pills or speed of some kind. (I feel very "wired")

2) I'm very very giddy - my boyfriend has also noticed a difference.

3) I have an extreme loss in appetite.

Is this normal after only two days? Should I be concerned? I really do not believe it's all in my head, since I' ve had experience taking various diet pills before and this is almost like that, except for the giddiness.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sumbrawd

Re: prozac, depression, bi-polar

The idea of not using antidepressants with a bipolar person is not necessarily the current thinking anymore. I have been using antidepressants for 11 years, along with my mood stabilizers, because my depressions tend to become psychotic and also because I'm being treated for OCD and panic disorder. The decision to use antidepressants is made on a person-to-person basis.

That being said, the symptoms you are describing need attention. It sounds to me like you could be becoming manic. Talk to your doctor about adding some mood stabilizers or taking other appropriate actions.

kat

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi, I'm new to the posts here and have found the site very helpful. I have a question I'm hoping some one with Prozac experience can help me with. I was just put on prozac two days ago. My therapist has been suggesting meds for a while now - as have previous therapists over the last several years. I've always leaned away from them for personal reasons/beliefs, but have finally sucumbed and I'm giving them a try. My therapist thinks I may have a mild mood disorder (bi-polar) and she wanted to put me on lithium. We compromised and I started 10mg of prozac instead (after hashing out the side effects of everything she listed). Eventually they may up the dose but that has been undetermined right now.

I was told by my dr. that if I have depression only then the chances of seeing any effects before two weeks is unlikely. If I'm dealing with a mood disorder then I may see effects as soon as a week. She also told me that anti-depressants such as Prozac can trigger manic episodes and she doesn't recommend them normally for bi-polar disorder for that reason. Since we are unsure yet what we are dealing with (I actually think she's convinced of what I have, but I'm not yet) she went ahead and gave me a low mg dosage to test it out. My concern is that I feel like I'm already being affected by it. This is what I'm experiencing after only two days of being on the medication:

1) I feel hyper - almost anxious - almost like I'm on caffeine pills or speed of some kind. (I feel very "wired")

Is this normal after only two days? Should I be concerned? I really do not believe it's all in my head, since I' ve had experience taking various diet pills before and this is almost like that, except for the giddiness.

Sumbrawd

Re: prozac, depression, bi-polar

I'm with kat on this, the symptoms your describing sound manic or anxiety related. You need to be seen for your symptoms. Medications can be tricky, my doctors have changed my medications more often than I can count because of the side affects and the affectiveness. So don't be afraid to speak up when you are unsure.

You may have something else going on and it's too important to ignore. This is how we find out though. So keep your chin up.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Sumbrawd