Support for People With Mental Illnesses

none

Support for People With Mental Illnesses
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: I blank people when they hassle me

I used to commute to work on the train and bus,sometimes people would be overly talkative so I sometimes would tune them out with a pair of headphones. I am not usually to walk up to people and start conversing with them unless the situation calls for it. Try small talk with people but remember that you don't have to give out alot of information about yourself. People tend to respect that. Or just try to be aware of the kinds of people who may always approach you.

Can you picture yourself being like them or could you picture yourself speaking with people who are more on your level of maturity.

I myself used to be very shy at times and would prefer to be alone because there were no risks in that. But as I took my "baby steps" and practiced on being somewhat social with people it wasn't too bad at times. But most of the time I still like my simple,relaxed,quietness.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I get quite a bit of hassle and it's not all due to my mental health but to stupid ignorant people in the street and in public buildings who can't work out whether someone is approachable or not. My way of coping is to turn my back on them or look at them as if they are speaking a foreign language or in an incomprehensible dialet of English. I don't go round smiling at people when I'm in a "don't bother me today mood or I might snap". As soon as I feel I am getting better I feel like I'm going back down again because of the hassle I get in the street on the days when I don't feel like talking to people or when I am otherwise pre occupied. I end up staying at home a lot and getting depressed again or carrying on with my life as normal and getting more and more anxious. Does anyone have any tips on how to cope with this.

Re: Re: I blank people when they hassle me

I get my moods and it shows so when I'm OK I smile and look approachable but on other days I am preoccupied or just want to keep my self to my self and that's when I get the hassle. Certain men think that when a woman is not smiling, is unhappy or just unapproachable they want to pester. It's called being contrary, and you have to smile and be nice otherwise you must be punished.