​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

MASTERFOX
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: What state has the best ( fastest ) hounds ?

Its all in fun

Isnt bro Don Lofton ( glory to god kennels ) from Broadus TEXAS, AND THE TRINITY ALSO ?

yeah Shelby he is but Steve Ducote was the breeder of them 3 dogs Godfather, Miracle,Jeremiah and he started them all the whole litter. If only ol steve new what he had !!!!!!!!

We the best just ask us

razorback attack
Come on! ARKANSAS of course

trent, add the ace dog, hemphill rocket, and thunder to your list. how about barney bud and heatwave. how about charlie bailey dogs. he place them in lots of hunts. there is more to a hound than just speed. he needs a nose, good mouth and staying power to satify me. if a hound cannot run 8 hrs. or more i would not feed him. therefore there are some good hounds from every state and la. has produce a number of them.

you cant stay awake 8 hours leroy

8 hours Leroy. We quit scoring em at five bo. You must gone run the other three for charity!!! hahaha

I know there are some fast dogs down south. but none of you guys down south and out west run in 3 day field trials with 450-750 dogs. A lot of hunts down yalls way aint got a hundred dogs in it. When your hound shines in a 3 day with 450-750 hounds you have something then.

How many field trials have there been in the last 3 years with 750 hounds competing in one class? The winner of the All-Age class in a hunt where two stakes are being run is not competing against the Derby hounds.

Also, consider this. Say you go hunting three days in a row and you are really watching the hounds close trying to pick the best one. You pick out one you think is the best. How many hounds was he better than? 9. What are the chances he was the best of those 10 you were looking at? Pretty good.
Now say you go hunting with 1,000 hounds the same way, really watching to pick out the best one. You pick one out that you think is the best. How many hounds is he better than? 999. What are the chances he was the best of those 1,000???

That is a universal law in field trialing. As the number of entries go up, your ability to sort them out correctly goes down.
Once you get over 250 or so I start to feel like the lottery element is having too much impact. If you consider a field trial just a fun game to play like rolling dice or betting on the roulette wheel then it isn't an issue. If you want to believe the results of a field trial actually mean something about the quality of the hounds then you have to consider what the numbers do to your ability to pick the best hound.

A match race with two hounds running the same game for several hours, you can pick out the better hound no doubt.
A field trial with 500 hounds and 300 pieces of game, I kinda wonder about that.

Then you make it a two class hunt and use the "run together, scored separately" rule. 400 hounds in each class. 6th place hound in a crossing getting 35 points because the five ahead of him were in the other class...No sir, I don't think the results of that kind of trial are helping us very much.

Open class hunt, 100 hounds, plenty of good judges...now you can learn something about the hounds competing against each other.

These are just opinions and I know you can't do anything to limit the numbers in some areas. You just have to deal with the hand you are dealt. But, I'll take the winner of the 100 hound, open class hunt over the winner of the 750 hound Derby and All-Age any day of the week.

Y'all boys can talk 3 day hounds all u want to but the? Was about the fastest also ive run in SRHA hunts the past 3 years and that's. 1 reason I picked NC. We all knw Tic Paul Valentine Butler @ Ducote @Smith can compete anywhere they go but if you talking 1day 3day 4day kennels ; walkers triggs or July's FOX dogs @ YOTE dogs and yes theres a major differance NC is on top its just that simple

Mr. Howell, you are exactly right. The more dogs the less focus. Most likely the best hounds in the whole country are never in a field trail especially a 3 day hunt. There are a lot of real good hunters that can't afford to go. A lot of people will breed maybe one or two females a year. They have a gyp that is outstanding and get to reading hunt results and drive way off somewhere and breed when the best stud dog for that area is just down the road or may even be in the same kennel. I think the area you hunt in and the game you run is the key. great post!

Brent i have traveled to 2 top guns,the masters and have witnessed some crazy outstanding running i have been to jena 6 times now and have never got to meet any of the good people i meet at the masters you speak all this speed well as they say in missouri ...show me ..... This speed would love to see what we are missing and everyone comes on here about creedmore which is a outstanding facility hands down but you will not i repeat will not see how fast your stock is till you go to paradise hills in illinois acres and acres of grabbing gears.its a good chance for the east to show us how fast a hound they have

Steve you missed most of my post. ? How many paradise hills and Jena yote hounds hung in overdrive can move a fox the way it suppose to be answer VERY FEW. Ive seen enough come off the train from Illinois to know some that come as pups do ok but most r just dogs

Brent , didnt you just answer your own fox question in your second sentance ?

" How many YOTE hounds can...

Brent I'm sorry, but it you think that the best dog is getting picked at them 5,6 and 700 dog field trials at Poole's then you better come out from behind that curtain. I have ran 1 dismal swamp and 2 virginia state 3 days up there and that was enough for me to see. Now, I am not taking away from the dogs,ect up there but lets call a spade a spade. A fox dog ain't goung to get up in a race with that Louisiana and Mississippi stock. Come on now. Plus alot of them guys could care less how to run a fox the way it's suppose to be because they never run them or have a need to run them.

Cant compare the two dif. parts of the world, When i see all them west dogs come out to NC they cant get in the woods we have to re train them because they run in a flat plans in yalls world! If yall know it alls want to see a fast dog go to all the states and place your dogs dont sit at home and run in your own pen and think you have somthing when your running a bunch of turtles!
Get ya truck and ya so called FAST dogs and strap a number and go to a hunt... See how fast they are!

Running yotes or fox a fast dog will shine either way!

I am by no means an expert on this subject but it seems to me that there may be many different ways to look at the question asked. I know there are some dogs that have amazing foot speed in open ground. I also know there are some that have good speed in rough, thickety, rocky, hilly terrain. I think those two things may be a result of how and where a dog is trained and run regularly. To me a fast dog is not necessiarily a dog with good foot speed. It is a dog that has the capability to run his game close. Usually when a dog can do that the game will get another gear and it will be pretty fast. Now a dog that can run game close and stay after it without many if any loses is a hound that can make it hard for other hounds to run with which in turn makes it seem like a fast hound. How fast can a dog run game and stay after it? Can they run it close enough to make it hard for other dogs to cut on them? Does said hound do it honestly? I don't mind for a dog to hit on front if they are knocked out of a race. I just want them to be able to run game once they do hit on front and not come back down the road or quit race when game makes a turn.. Don't really want one that doesn't have a desire to be on firing line... Around my area it seems as though hounds like this are few and far between anymore. I live in Northwest Arkansas. Most of the area here is hilly or mountains and most of it is rough. I have seen dogs from here that I thought were fast go to a flat smooth area to run and look like they couldn't outrun me with my shoes off... The same is true for flatland open ground dogs sometimes when they hit rough hillsides.. So, I'm not sure there is a definite answer to the question asked because so much depends on the area being run, and what kind of running they are used to.. Also, I believe there are so many differing opinions on this topic that we will never get everyone to agree on exactly what a "fast" hound is.

Nc has the best dogs by far just check the facts we run more 50 dogs in a hunt to make champ

Facts are we run wolfs not them little greys and cold trail a 6 day old track we like a race in full cry and we aint down with them hunting and trailing scores you all make champions out of.fact

Stoncipher is having a lil race next week. The post said fastest. You speed demons from the least coast load up and haul you a fleet out there. They will from Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and the Midwest. By 10am on Saturday morning you will know for sure the fastest don't come from the Carolina's. We know you not coming, keep pumpkin rolling and tellin the world how fast ya'll raise em out there. Louisiana boys know, the least coast is where they unload their culls!

7 OF THE TOP TEN AT THE MASTERS ARE FROM NORTH AND SOUTH CAROLINA. 5 OF THE TOP TEN ARE FROM NORTH CAROLINA. WHAT MORE PROOF DO YALL NEED. AND THE MASTERS AINT WON WITH HUNTING OR TRAILING. SO YALL MIGHT NEED TO SEND ALL YER DOGS TO NC THEY MIGHT ALL BE CULLS.

On your home turf oh you had to drive a few little mile come to the real hunt in la.

well hell I hope ya'll can get yout name called out between North Carolina & South Carolina yall had 243 hounds to Louisiana's 27 and we still put 2 in the top ten, just load ya'll's azz up for the Top Gun at Jena !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why would you want to drive that far when the eastcoast also has the best pens in the country.

The real hounds are here

LA. you need to look at the papers on them fast dogs.Not saying 1st gen.look back where the fast started at.
Most came from ARKANSAS.

Amen brother

on the run
LA. you need to look at the papers on them fast dogs.Not saying 1st gen.look back where the fast started at.
Most came from ARKANSAS.

yes fact checker i think pinkie won around 6000 dollars of that east coast money at creedmore mr donnie butler was the handler i think.

How would you know ashley you guys never leave sn,sc or ga to even see another pen i can name a few that gives them a run for there money.and you guys act like you dominated hell its your backyard so that tells me you all dont leave it as getting your collars yanked off gets to you to much.keep dreaming that cold trailing and hunting ch.of yours is fast.as trent said top gun jena how many of you will make it????probally none that have been on here talking about speed.........

my opinion the fastest dogs, the classiest dogs that i have ever seen come out of louisiana...........

Yea your right why would we leave to go run. Thats like driving 500 miles to go to a family dollar when a Super Walmart is 2 miles from your house. As far as the dogs just give us a lil more time we getting there. Yall had yotes your whole life to run we just got them and look what we are doing. As soon as we get these grey fox leaf flipping piddlers crossed up on some of these super fast hounds yall talking about then yall boys be in trouble. Then we will be able to eyesight him and actually run him out of a briar thicket instead of circling around the block with there heads up listening.

I have been fortunate enough to get to judge what I think is probably the best the south east and the east coast has to offer the past two years. I would have been more than confident in saying the fastest track running hounds come from Louisiana with Mississippi and Alabama close behind. However, after the Masters this year I am not so sure, not only could these hounds run their game with extreme speed they did it with very few misses.
I love this topic this could be the next big thing in our sport. I would be willing to help in any way to get this moving forward. A little off topic is something that was brought up earlier. Heath said something about the running together but scored seperate rule to me a bigger injustice than the example he gave is when a dog is the first dog in a crossing but the only one in its class and is scored running alone.

There is a hound called Chase's Speck that has won 1st place more than any hound I know of. He just placed 3rd at 7 years old. He lives in Quitman La.

The best want win Stoneys it might not even get seen in the pen later let them run

1 2