​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

MASTERFOX
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Masters' A New Project in The Works

The 2010 Wolfhound Classic will be run in the beatiful Elsinore Pen in Mo. on Memorial day weekend, but this may be the last time it will be run in a Pen.
We have been approached by a group of hard working hunters from Ark. to make it an annual outside hunt hunt at the beautiful Lake Ouachita State Park in Ark.
Through their efforts these hunters have secured the help and cooperation of the Park Managers at this fine facility.
The Wolfhound Classic will be a three day hunt run under Masters Option "GTP" and run along with it will be the New Born "American Futurity" run for two days for hounds born after Jan. 1st 2009. They will be run together but scored separately.
The American Futurity will be sponsored by the New World Registry and we will be looking for sponsors for the Wolfhound Classic.
We are excited about this new venture and will keep you posted as things progress.

Thanks for your time

Re: Masters' A New Project in The Works

Awesome. The local folks as are good as it gets and the running at the hunts held in this area just keeps getting better these running grounds are easily as good asGrenada Miss or better. The only thing Grenada has on the Buckville area is kennels
derek

I like the idea, I will be judgeing my first hunt in the buchville area in June, I here the running is great.
Good luck with your new format.

I heard about this being in the works a couple weeks ago and i couldn't believe my ears. Great, i may have to drive to Arkansas for this one.

Would love to have you, but u will have to give our old Pen dogs a handicap if we bet

Guys looking forward to yall coming up to our little piece of Paradise not to brag but i dont think you will find a place on the out side any better to have a field trial. S.R.

STEVE/WHITEY.....UNDER THE MASTERS RULES...WILL YOU SCORE OR SCRATCH ON DEER.....VERY CURRIOUS TO KNOW !

LET ME SAY I'M NOT TRYING TO STIR ANYTHING UP...I LIKE THE IDEA A LOT !....BUT WHICH WAY ARE YOU GOING WITH IT....IF THERE'S A DEER THERE...IT WILL COME INTO PLAY !

Alvin, we have discussed this at length and decided for now to leave it no scoring and no scratching, I am not one to believe that some hounds will not be scored on Deer.
Your hunt was such a success from what I read, I think broke dog hunts will will pop up to fill the need of folks wanting them. Your hunt broke the ice and I wish u nothing but the best of luck in the future.
I never was a big believer in scoring on deer but like a good friend of mine always reminds me of when I say this, is the fact, when you don't score on deer your faster hounds don't get scored if they are right up on it and the judge cuts them off and sees the deer and the dogs. If hounds are a ways behind and he gets there between the dogs and the deer and doesn't see the game, then he is suppose to score them. This has been a fight through the years and I think there is definitely a place and a need for your broke dog hunts

STEVE,THANKS FOR THE RESPONCE....I HOPE THERES NOT MANY DEER THERE !

TO NOT SCORE/NOT SCRATCH.....STILL LEAVES IT WIDE OPEN...GOOD LUCK !

The Masters outside rules allow for scoring on deer Thats the way we r going to run it at the Ark State this fall I am disappointed to hear your not going to score the hounds for running deer. I feel like when the word gets out your going to loose a yon of local support I might be wrong but that's my opinion
Derek

derek....this can be two-fold,alot from here would drive that far to crown a ch scored on deer,and a lot would come if they were scratched also....just want to level the playing field !

I see the need for both ends of the spectrum. The fastest dog, using Roscoe's words, want to race you. The dogs i like look for the biggest packs, then want to beat them all. I also admire someone that takes the trouble and time to break their dogs from running deer. It's really not an option for me, letting dogs run loose from their kennels is a recipe for running deer and about anything else they smell. Although, i still say my breed of dogs would be easy to break, Dennis Jones proved that to me. The gyp i got back from him still want run a nanny, it's been over a year and he only shocked her one time. I guess i need to send the rest to DJ for some schooling before the NC State and National

Derek why will they score on deer some true hunters try to keep there hounds from running them. Is this set up for the hunters in the south ark.

STEVE...OSCAR LONG DESERVES ANY CREDIT FOR A BROKE DOG HUNT...HE HELD THEM ANNUALLY AS LONG AS HIS HEALTH ALLOWED...BUT TODAY...FOXHUNTERS ARE TIRED OF FIELDTRIALS WITH LESS THAN 10% FOXDOGS THERE,AT OUTSIDE HUNTS,GRANTED MOST FIELD TRIALERS RUN ON DEER ALSO...OR HAVE NO PREFRENCE.....SO GO ONE WAY OR THE OTHER...MY LITTLE HUNT DREW OUT SOME OF THE BEST FOXHUNTERS,ALONG WITH FIELD TRIALERS ALSO TO COMBINE AND CAST 144 HOUNDS ON A DEER CLUB,4 SCRATCHED FOR RUNNING DEER.....THERE WERE 3 NC STATE CH,TWO USO CH,AND 1 NAT CH PRESENT...SHOE-FLYS PEN...THE WIDE OPEN ...BRINGS A LOT MORE OBSTICLES IN THE WAY....MOSTLY..LARGE BROWN ANIMALS WITH WHITE TAILS !....THEY DONT DUCK AND TURN OR EVEN RUN CLOSE TO THE WAY COYOTES RUN...I'VE DONE BOTH

It's the way that it's been done here for as long as I am old or longer I can not ever remember them having a hunt at Buckville that they didn't score for deer. I wish that j had deer proof hounds but I don't I admire the guys that have them and work to keep them straight I am all for the hunt coming to this area we run our hounds ten months out of the year outside except for field trials. Myself and every hunter that field trials at buckville runs their hounds on deer or allows them to run deer. I just don't think that the locals will be real excited about not scoring the deer races. Truth is you will get more points running the coyote and fox because they stay in the area better. One or two crosses and most of the time the deer are in the lake. I will be there to run dogs but think the support will be better if you score the deer races. I ain't trying to offend anyone just stating what I think and have talked with three other hunters today and they all have the same opinion. There prob isn't two dozen deer proof dogs in this county maybe not even a dozen
Derek

THANKS DEREK FOR YOUR RESPONCE...IT WAS HONEST AND ADDRESSED THE POINT....NOT TO **** ANYONE OFF BUT YOU CAN DECLARE IT THE DEERHOUND CLASSIS INSTEAD OF THE WOLFHOUND CLASSIC...WE HAVE A 1 DAY DEERDOG HUNT
EVERY SAT JANUARY TO MARCH...AND ALL WINNERS ARE INVITED BACK TO THE BEST OF THE BEST...AND GREAT HOUNDS WIN IT...BUT HOW MANY FOXDOGS ARE THEY REPRESENTING........NONE !!!!!!!!!

Guy's I am an old outside fox hunter and after judgeing the All American only once, I came to the decision to never judge another outside hunt, unless hounds were either scored or scratched for running Deer! Masters welcome to the National! I am not against what you are doing but will never support a outside hunt again unless this problem is resolved. I do not care what the out come is just score or scratch. Just a Old Fat Mans Opinion.

Guy's I am an old outside fox hunter and after judgeing the All American only once, I came to the decision to never judge another outside hunt, unless hounds were either scored or scratched for running Deer! Masters welcome to the National! I am not against what you are doing but will never support a outside hunt again unless this problem is resolved. I do not care what the out come is just score or scratch. Just a Old Fat Mans Opinion.
PS most deer dogs are better then a whole lot of pen dogs.

this hunt wood b a huge suces. i am hoping 2 atend the arkansas state this fal. count me n this wood b awesome. kelly

I was told last night that the entry fee was 50 dollars , a man pay fifty dollars he wants his hound looked at, I know that every day of the three days mine are going to be running a deer at some point, so then it comes down to whether I really need to run hound or just support the hunt in another way. Maybe intsead of the Wolf Hound Classic you could call it the Running Hound Classic, just an idea. I will be there to support the hunt in some shape , form , or fashion. This is to god a place not to be having three day hunts and I think that its just going to get more popular
DEREK

I judged there this last weekend, lot of deer races, lot of fox races, the 2 dogs that won the all age run a fox all day, thats how they won. One judge told me he scored them 11 times, I just got them once. They ran maybe three coyotes, so may have to call it fox hound classic. We scored on deer and the fox hounds still won. Go to the rules, and what ever it says about deer, then go with it. I have been to a many of pen hunts, have deer in them, and they might be all that is left for the last day, I hoped they scored them. This Hunt will be held one and a half months after deer season so hopefully the locals have thinned them out. I will be there either way run or judge.

JOHNNY I AM WITH YOU THE TWO TOP HOUNDS WON IT RUNNING A FOX LAST WEEKEND YES THERE WAS DEER BUT NOT LIKE I EXPECTED I TRY TO KEEP BROKE FOX DOGS & I WILL BE THERE. GREAT PLACE & LOTS OF GOOD GAME!

I will agree with Alvin that to score on deer for a three day Ch would probally entice a few Eastern North Carolina boys into Clinton's home state. But I do disagree that some of these Deerhounds running the eastern deer trial circuit do not represent fox dogs. They may not be broke,that don't mean they won't make one squeal. In our deer trials they get scored on a fox...and a good grey usually helps a good hound put up a good score. It has happened alot at limestone and juniper hunts. Most of the hounds I run are bred and raised on my yard and all are stock off good broke grey foxhounds. This is where I say they represent. Alot of the other good deer dogs are off grey foxhound stock also. Since that is why in part I named my kennel "Flat Broke", As at one time I contemplated just having broke hounds. In my area deer are thick, time is scarce, and friends to run with are plentiful on any given day, to run deer. So deer running it has been. Even ocassionally we'll have those days where we seem to run mostly Fox. On a couple occasions, I have raised born broke hounds from my stock that have transplanted to other yards of broke foxhunters.And in many ocassions pups off crosses I've made have been raised to be broke. As it is, I like a hound that can get up on his game and run it. They ain't the best out there, but they won't embarrass me no matter what we're running.... And to the Fat man once again I'll agree with him..you need to score on both or scratch on the other. All in all this hunt sounds like a good thing, I would suggest try and make sure you keep the locals happy. If they like to run deer and fox and yotes...then by God score them. Just my 2 cents.ab

AL...I AGREE WITH YOU...BUT ITS MUCH MORE COMMON AT THESE HUNTS TO RUN DEER,AT THE JONES CO ONE YEAR I HAD CLOSE TO 80 CROSSINGS...AND I KNOW MOST AROUND HERE ARE BRED RIGHT...I'D JUST LIKE TO SEE THEM COMMIT EITHER WAY...THEY'VE GOT THE OPTION......I'VE SAID IT EVER SINCE THEY MADE IT AN OPTION....IF YOU RAN A 3 DAY HUNT IN EASTERN NC AND SCORED ON DEER AND MADE A CH ALSO.....IT WOULD DRAW 750-1000 HOUNDS....I'VE TRIED TO START IT...MAYBE THIS WILL HELP !

AL...ALSO I CAME ACROSS WRONG WITH MY LAST STATEMENT ABOVE...BUT NO FOXHUNTERS...THAT TRY TO KEEP BROKE HOUNDS...NUMBER AND RUN THIER HOUNDS IN ANY DEER TRIALS...I APOLIGIZE FOR THE STATEMENT THE WAY ITS WORDED.....

ducote can i buy in this with yaw fred has to be paying yaw good!

i would speculate that there are only a handful of "broke-dog" hunters that would not participate in a hunt of this stature and you would gain 50 dogs to every "one" you lost if you scored on deer(there are an abundance of outstanding running hounds in the deer woods that have never seen a fox or coyote enclosure)......i think the only reason you don't have outside deer trials around our way is because of a lack of facility as lake quachita or grenada lake(and it may be a law on the books that say you can't trial "deer" in sc)if you could do a 3-day outside deer,fox, coyote hunt in SC in January, i'd be willing to bet it would be 1000 hounds participate.......theres a city slicker done moved out in the country and buys 2 ac "farm" and want to control everything......

BUBBA...I APROACHED AN ORGINAZATION ABOUT HOLDING THIS 2-3 YRS AGO...THEY HAD A COUPLE QUESTIONS I COULDNT ANSWER.....
WHERE WOULD YOU HOLD IT
WHERE WOULD YOU KENNEL A 1000 DOGS.....AND WE WERE JUST TALKING ABOUT A LOCAL HUNT !

AND WOULD USE THIS HUNT TO MAKE MONEY AND ALSO OFFER A DEERPROOF HUNT...AND EXPECT LOWER ENRIES..FOR THE BROKE DOG HUNT

3 HUNTS THAT COULD EASILY DETERMINE THE WAY WE BREED HOUNDS....

THE MASTERS PEN HUNT...NONE TO COMPARE TO IT...

3 DAY OUTSIDE HUNT SCORED ON ALL GAME INCLUDING DEER,YOU'D KNOW WHAT YOU'D BE BREEDING TO

DEERPROOF HUNT...3 INVATATIONALS..1 DAY...IF THEY DIDNT GET SCRATCHED THEY'D BE ELLIGBLE FOR THE 3 DAY,AND WE'D HAVE A FOX/COYOTE HUNT...AND WE ALL WOULD KNOW WHAT WE WERE BREEDING FOR AND TO !

SIMPLE FORMAT....HELP MAKE IT A REALITY !

Just do it and they will come.If I can get every thing in order I will be trying to supporting all the local hunts.My vacation days are limited.

Problably none of my business, but I will bet if you do not score on deer you will not get very many local judges and a road map in that area will not help much, without the local help you will be as lost as my dogs are there!

Well being from Florida and having watched some true broke fox hounds work I had never seen anything like the dogs from the East coast at the USO most of the hunters I know would have sent everything packing but that is just a difference of opinion the sooner we realize that we are all different but all love listening to a dog run the better we will be. If the hunt is advertised as running deer then I dont see why it matters and dogs running a deer are going to leave out and get less scores than the dogs that run a fox or a coyote. I think the hunt would have 4 times the dogs at it if it were left as scoring on everything than if it was a broke hound event because lets face it honestly there is just not many dogs left that will not run a deer. The hunt will go on if you like it go if you dont then dont and if you wanna change the name just cause some of the dogs will get a couple points from running deer then that is crazy. The cream will always rise to the top and really maybe things are different on the East Coast but all yall are lucky im having to drive 70 + miles from my house to even turn a dog loose right now so really find something else to worry bout besides whether it is or is not your kind of hunt.

THOUGH WE ALL KNOW WE LOVE TO RUN A FOX AND OR A COYOTE. MOST DOGS TODAY WILL RUN A DEER. MOST KNOW THIS UNLESS YOU TRY AND BREAK THEM OF IT. I THINK THE PROBLEM IS A JUDGE SAY IF HE DIDN'T FIND OUT WHAT THE GAME THE DOGS WERE RUNNING. AND ONE OR TWO LEAVE THE PACK HOW WOULD HE SCRATCH FOR FAIL TO HARK? MIGHT BE BROKE DOGS THAT LEFT A DEER RACE. I HAVE TO AGREE WITH A FEW ABOVE. USE THE OPTION ITS THERE USE IT. I THINK IF YOU SCORE ON DEER THE TURN OUT WILL BE A LOT BIGGER!!!! JUST MY TWO CENTS GOD BLESS AND HAPPY EASTER TO ALL !!!
OH ALMOST FORGOT HAPPY HUNTING/RUNNING

very wel said spanky. kelly

If all you people that are complaining about dogs being scored on deer had such great foxdogs as you would let us all believe if them dogs cant score more points running a fox then a deer they aint much of a fox dog I think yall are more worried about your foxdogs running up and down the road because they dont have the ability to go jump a fox outside and they dont have the speed to get a deer race so you got to bad mouth the deer hounds because lack the gears to get there

David ,I know you prob ain't traveled to far away from Garland County to watch dogs run but let me tell you some of these boys have hounds that will put a fox or cat on the tailgate . I wouldn't be thinking that they are pushovers if I were you.

Derek I never said they was but all seem to be ready to tear down our system before they even come to Arkansas and see the situation for themselves and no Derek I havent traveled to far away from here just P***** me off

I don't think that they are trying to tear down our system. I want this hunt to happen and j want them to score on deer I believe that scoring on deer and telling folks up front that is what is going to happen assure the greatest chance for the hunt to be a success I have always wanted a three day hunt at Buckville and now we have a chance to have one of the greatest there.

10=4

very wel said david. i am on your side. i hope and i am planing 2 come that way n oct. i hope. people needs 2 face it we have 2 change some rules fast b4 it gets worse. again i wil say it again there is nothing wrong bout runing der. my dogs wil run any good game anytime anywhere. kelly