​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

MASTERFOX
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question about Raider Hounds?

Just wondering who around the message board still stays close to the ole Raider hounds, Lee Johnson, Joe Stevens, Bill Martin bred hounds.

I know Mr. Ron Turnbow in Miss, talked with hime several times.

Al Hannsell in IN.

Wallace Shipley of TN is trying to get back, and has got a real nice Raider Female.

Just wondering who else might have some the old stock?

Always looking around, not many left these days, just wondering who might have something out there that we need to cross out on?

Love to talk to you anytime, give me a call
334-782-5000

True Grit,
Elmore Co., AL
Jonathan Blakeley

Re: Question about Raider Hounds?

OLE ALBERT BURNETT FROM THE MOUNTAINS OF NC USED TO TALK ALOT ABOUT THE GREAT RAIDER HOUNDS, HE HAD ONE HE CALLED RAINY WEATHER -HE SAID THAT OLE RAINEY WAS A WORKIN THIS TRACK ONE DAY AND IT COME UP A CLOUD AND STARTED RAINING AND HE LAID A BOARD OVER THE TRACK AND THAT 2 DAYS LATER AFTER THE RAIN STOPPED THEY WENT BACK AND HE TOOK THE BOARD OFF AND OLE RAINY TOOK THE TRACK AND WENT ON AND PUT THE FOX TO RUN -SOUNDED KINDA FISHY TO ME BUT ALBERT SURE ENJOYED TELLIN THAT ONE -I GUESS HES BEEN LONG GONE FOR A WHILE NOW BUT THERE WAS A BUNCH OF RAIDER BLOOD IN THE MOUNTAINS OF NC BACK THEN -GOOD LUCK -DAVID BAILEY

When I was running alot down in OK. in the cimmaron river valley there was a hunter that had a pack of raider hounds. If the dogs at the camp I was hunting at could not run one we would go around to 4 or 5 other hunting camps and the only one that would be having a race would be the raider dogs.
They where not a fast pack of dogs at all but they would run a track like they were tied to it, and most had good mouthes and would run all nite and then run all nite the next night.
Most of them were open spoted average looking dogs about 22 to 24 inches tall.
That hunter and his hounds have been gone for years.

All my dogs are Raider bred on both sides but not in bred. They run hard and run the track with lots of mouth. My oldest gyp is 11 years old from Ronnie Shackelford . He bought both Sir and dam from Homer Martin 14 15 years ago. Don Steele

TRUE GRIT YOU KNOW I DO GOT RAIDER /PICKETT/ AND A LITTLE SHOT OF LIQUER MOST OF WHAT I GOT COME FROM RON/ AL/ AND LORA NIESLER ..WE LOST ARE OLD BIL MAR LEE JOHNSON STUFF WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL CHASIN GIRLS DID HAVE THE PLESURE OF HUNTIN AND FEEDING COL. RYE WHEN I WAS ABOUT 10 OR 12 THO

the majority i have go back to a 1/4 of the joe lee raider hound that billy shaw had...and gonna allways keep some of it !

Were the Raider hounds you are referring to owned by S.P. Glover ? I hate to age myself , prob 95% of hunters today never heard of Mr Glover.
DEREK

Apperciate all you boys repling.

Sam I will be calling you ASAP, I have a good bit of the Bil-Mar in my hounds. We need to get together some time and see what we can come up with.

DON:

I don't think we have met. Where are you from?

Give me a call sometime or email me your phone number and I will call you. My email address is jblakeley@alafains.com

I will be listening for you.

True Grit,
Jonathan

By the way fellows Big Kyle, Papa, Uncle Earl and Johnnie P of Little Bean Hollow should be having a barn burn right about now in NE, AL, boy I wish I were there, but I have had things come up that I couldn't go anywhere this weekend.

Look foward to hearing a good report from NE, AL wonder if it will be as good as last week for Big Kyle and the boys?

True Grit,
Jonathan

I have one female left that is 50% Raider breeding , her mother came from Joe Stevens of Texas , she was Stevens bred to the hilt . My female is 12 plus years and is straight off of McMillans Tinman. She has been a good one, the only hound that I have ever owned that I bred , raised and trained that made it to "old age" She and her sister whelped several pups including several ch.'s , one being a Mo. Open Ch
DEREK DUPRE

The likes of Glovers Cyrano Jo G, does that ring a bell Sam? lol, I just found a pedigree in your father's handwriting with IFSB# 66455(straight out of Half Back and 62900, tucked away under Estee's papers. Estee being the oldest hound I ever kept my hands on. She was 16 when she passed earlier this year. At the beginning of winter we brought Estee home from the other kennel because I couldn't stand her being in the weather at 16 years old. She took up residence in the "mudd room", she wasn't happy. We took our little christmas trip and left Marty to the chores. He would be here 2x a day to let Estee & Betty outside for break. I had warned him not to just let Estee out, well he just didn't think a 16 year old hound would leave the yard. When we finally made it home I tended to the hounds here and Shady went to the other kennel. Estee was laying in front of her vacant pen waiting for the gate to open! Those hounds were tough, smart and track minded. I know I'll never see the likes of them again!

IM WORKIN HARD YOU KNOW WHERE IM TRYIN TOO BE I THINK I GOT A GOOD START JUST TAKES TIME YEP I DO REM. THAT NAME WISHED ID A NEVER QUIT HUNTIN BACK WHEN BUT HAD TOO DO WHAT I HAD TOO DO TO MAKE A LIVIN... TURNED JAG LOOSE WITH ABE LAST NITE