Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

MASTERFOX
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HEATH HOWELL

HEATH WOULD YOU PLEASE GIVE ME A CALL.
I HAVE SPOKE WITH SOME OFFICERS OF THE TEXAS STATE
AND THEY ALSO HAVE THE ARKLATEX MASTERS ON THERE PLATE,SO IT LOOKS LIKE YOURS TRULY IS GOING TO SET UP A STATE LEADERBOARD, WE ARE ENTERESTED IN THE FORMAT YALL USED IN AL. PLEASE GIVE ME A CALL AND FILL ME I AND GIVE US SOME IDEAS.
THANKS,SHELBY 903-353-6510

Re: HEATH HOWELL

Good deal.

I think I ran that program for three years. The first winner was ALMasters(f)Ch Hill's Trojan, next year it was a Florida hound called McCranie's Pixy, and then the last year it was won by another FL hound named Holland Branch Red. I think he goes by Floyd's Red now. Then I got tired of FL hounds winning and ended the program.

It was based loosely on the HOY except with S&D points instead of HGA places.
There was a chart that had a "Grade Factor" and then a chart that had an "Entry Factor". I counted all hunts in the state held by an affiliated association. That meant there was a puppy hunt, a 4 hour derby, an 8 hour hunt, some two day derby hunts, some 3 days, and maybe some other types I can't remember.
The Grade factor was something like:
1.5 - 3 day hunts
1.2 - 2 day hunts
1.15 - 8 hour hunts
1 - 4 hour or 5 hour hunts
.8 - puppy hunts

We also had a KOY type program so it made sense to count the puppy hunts so the kennels could get points from those as well.

The entry factor was something like:
2 - 200+ hounds
1.5 - 100+ hounds
1.25 - 75+ hounds
1 - 50+ hounds
.8 - 25+ hounds

So, then after each hunt you would take the S&D score and multiply it by both factors.

For instance:
For a 3-day with 80 hounds:

500 S&D points X 1.5 "Grade factor" X 1.25 "Entry factor" = 937.5 HOY points

For an 8-hour with 60 hounds:

500 S&D points X 1.15 "Grade factor" X 1 "Entry factor" = 575 HOY points

You get the idea.

Then you got a bonus if you placed in the hunt:

100 pts for 1st
90 pts for 2nd
10 pts for 10th

Then we limited the number of hunts a hound could keep points from. Say, his best 6 hunts, so a hound couldn't win by just going to a bunch of hunts and finishing with some S&D score.

That is about it.
I will tell you the major problem with the system I set up here is the variation in the amount of points scored from one hunt to another. You could have 2 hunts that are basically equal in every way except there were 25 judges at one hunt and 12 judges at the other hunt. The winner of the hunt with 25 judges might have scored 1,000 points S&D while the winner at the hunt with 12 judges scored only 400 points S&D. The two hunts were equal in every way except number of judges and there is no logical reason why the winner of one hunt should get more HOY points than the winner of the other, yet the winner of the hunt with more judges may get more than double the HOY points. That is a big flaw if your hunts are not all well run and if there is a big variation in the S&D points that doesn't have anything to do with actual running. I never ran into a problem except maybe for the puppy hunts S&D scores being so much higher than the 3-day scores due to things like throwing out scores on time or not, etc. You might have a puppy score 1500 points in a hunt while your field champions are only scoring 500 in the three day hunts. But, you wouldn't count puppy hunts anyway.
But, considering that flaw, you might want to design your system based on where the hound placed in GTP or just S&D or something. Rank them from first to last place and come up with some point distribution to apply.

There are a lot of ways to do it. I'll call you and try to help if I can.
Keep in mind, if you use a system that gives points to all the hounds that finish instead of just the hounds that place you will have a huge number of data points to keep track of. I had around 2,000 individual HOY scores one year. If 200 hounds finish a hunt then you have 200 hounds to keep track of points on for that hunt.