​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

MASTERFOX
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
toughest hunt ever

What were some of the toughest hunts ever and where were they at ?

Re: toughest hunt ever

USO at Pooles

Toughest...probably like Cody said...USO at Poole's. Ice was everywhere! Cold!!
Only 17 hounds finished in the sleet,snow,& rain.

First MASTERS at Pamplico...tough, competitive field of hounds...hot dry,humid weather...and even "hotter" running.
If your hound finished....it was an accomplishment!

American Invitational at Davy Hacketts Hollywood facility. COLD...WINDY...WET...WET...WET....
Only 27 hounds finished this hunt...and what a test of a hounds "heart" just to tough it out and finish!
Again...for the hound to finish was quite an accomplishment.

ALLAN BISHOP
(JABBER JAW)

i think it was 1953 when not a hound finished the texas open would be my pick,50 uso also was rough just a few hounds finished it.

Mr.Allan,
Who won these hunts you listed??

World Cup in Jena one yr hard sleet and Rain freezing temps. 11 hounds finished.

Big Oaks Hammer won the 2007 Masters.
Southeast Maverick won S&D.

I agree with Dick McCrary he has seen a lot of tough hunts. My first Texas open was in 1963, FOUR Seven's in MAY, not a hound finished. Next Year, I drove 500 miles in my old truck with one Hound (Webb's Benny Jester) with a determination to finish one. Only four hounds finished, No running, but Benny Jester WON hunting.
Thanks Dick, brings back good memories!!

must correct my post above,when i picked tx open that no hound finished i knew it was 62 or 63,i hit 5 instead 6 on the date could not of been 1953 as that was the year mark s won the tx open and spending couple days with mr hinkel in the early ninties i dont think you will forget when old mark won,lol.remember wallace dempsey talking about that 62 open about 30 yrs ago at the fla st was not real solid running last day or two,but the 28 hrs still took them down.50 uso that old half back won was tough also i believe he won derby at the midwest about three months before the uso,he was quiet a hound i saw him when he was 8 or 9 yrs old he was still a fine looking speciman then.mr j.w.it is fun to recall those old hunts and the hounds and hunters that made history in them not many left.

Re: toughest hunt ever.....Johnny....

The USO hunt was won by chris Bass...don't know hounds name.

Tha Masters was won by Paul Caskey with Big Oaks Hammer...who is now deceased (I think).

The American Invitational was won by Clif
Parker....East Coast Kennels...with East Coast Crown.

Now you know!

ALLAN BISHOP
(JABBER JAW)