​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

MASTERFOX
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Run together, scored separately

What is everyones opinion of these kinds of hunts? I know it is a big financial advantage to be able to have multiple classes run at the same time since you get double or triple benefit from the expense of the judges and the expense of the hunters who attend. I have never liked the format since the S&D scores can be so far from what they were intended to be. 7th and 8th place in the pack could get scored 35 and 30 points. That has never seemed right to me. I would actually prefer a system where the hounds are scored together and sorted out into multiple classes at the end. The scores would be lower but at least the scores would be accurate based on the way we value each place in a crossing.

Re: Run together, scored separately

Or one derby dog dragging 15 all age dogs gets 20 points for running alone, as there is no other dog in his class in the crossing. Fair for all and shakes out in the end.

Blackjack or a slot machine is fair for all but does it tell us anything about the skill of the player? I think it is so hard to have field trial results mean something and then you start giving 20 points for 1st place crossings and 35 points for 7th place crossings. I would love to see a breakdown on a hunt scored both ways and see if the same dogs win and place. I don't have the data or i would do it. I just think open hunts are more accurate at assigning the right points for the work being done.

this way of scoring has worked for years why change now if you dont like this way go to open hunts only that will solve your problems

Just because we have done it for years doesn't mean it has "worked" for years but to set your mind at ease I wasn't talking about changing anything. Maybe hosting a hunt scored together and sorted at the end, that is all. I can't think of why it wouldn't work and be better than the scored separately format. I don't guess anyone else can find a reason either. Scored separately artificially inflates the scores, that is the only reason to do it that I can figure. You are right about attending open hunts only. That is my personal solution.

Heath, like the drug testing, I think its a great idea. Your theory makes complete sense. But some/alot of people are like "the nationals" veryyyyyy slowwww movinggggg on changes, especially when it comes to scoring their hounds. I personally can't think of a GOOD/QUALITY reason why a field trial person would want his hound getting 35 pts when it is 6th, 7th or 8th in the crossing but it happens to be the 1st aa dog or derby dog. IF WE ARE "REALLY" TRYING TO PICK THE BEST HOUND AT THE FIELD TRIAL!!!

Rodney I'm with you dont change something that has worked for years. The old saying goes "if its not broke dont fix it"!!!!!! If you dont like the rules stay at the house or go to a open hunt its just plain and simple as that. You know the rules of the hunt before you go, if you dont like em dont go.