​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

MASTERFOX
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
FUNGUS ON PUPS

WHAT IS THE CAUSE OF SOME SORT OF FUNGUS ON PUPS? GOT A FEW SORES ON THEIR HEAD BUT MOSTLY ON THEIR TAILS. PUPS LOST HAIR ON THEIR TAIL AND HAVE A KNOT OF BLOODY PUSS ON THEIR TAIL. NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE BUT BEEN TREATIN WITH IODINE REGULARLY BUT DOESNT REALLY SEEM TO HELP.

Re: FUNGUS ON PUPS

I pasted this post from a couple of years ago, originally posted by a real dog man that knows his stuff. I hope it helps you.

Jack Floyd
Oct 21, 2010 - 8:05PM
Quote Reply Re: Can anyone help?

I learned about this condition the expensive way.

It's actually a viral inspired fungal infection called Sporotrichosis. It's commonly referred to as Rose Gardener's Disease.
One effective treatment (it worked the best for me)is Supersaturated Potassium Iodide (SSKI). Administered orally (2ml) for 10 days in a row.
While SSKI is available at your local veterinarian clinic, you can also get it at any drug store at a very reasonable price. It typically comes in an 8 ounce container.

Hope this helps,,, Jack

thxs for the info

Have had pups with something that sounds alot like this before as well as flaky dry skin that gets real thick... Best thing I have found for it is Paramite Dip (spelling?). Have to get it from vet... Was effective for me....