​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

MASTERFOX
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sick Hound

I have a sick hound, barely eating, very lethargic,and acting like she is paralyzed in the back end. I have combed her for ticks and she does not have one on her spine. She is acting just like she has tick paralysis but is barely eating so I know its something more. If anoyone has any information that could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Sick Hound

How old is the hound? Been running hard?

Classic symptoms of tick fever. Lethargic, no appetite, and the tick fever attacks the kidneys causing them to get down in the back end. I hope I am wrong, but it certainly sounds like it. Doxycycline is the drug of choice for tick fever, but if the kidneys are already shutting down the chances are slim for survival. Again, I hope I am wrong.

I had a hound like that a few years ago, I was about to but her down, and a old timer pulled up and started talking to me, I told him I didn't know what was wrong with her. He made her swallow a penny and gave her a can of tuna fish, in a few hours she was up walking like nothing had ever happened, I Dnt what was wrong with her or if the penny had anything to do with helping her, but something worked, sounds funny, but it worked

Yea hound run great on Sunday was sick by the next weekend.

I had a gyp do this last year I gave her everything possible, but nothing worked. But if you like the dog take it to a vet quickly!!!!! For right now give her antibiotics and get food down it and keep hydrated the dog hydrated!!!!

Try squeezing the puss out the dogs butthole. It will get them down to where they can't do anything.

Took her to the vet. They didn't have a clue. Thanks for all the help.

Sounds about right, most vets don't know how nor do they look for tick fever. I lost several without knowing what it was several years ago and finally paid to have the vet send the blood sample to Texas A&M and it came back as tick fever.

Lost one Tuesday that I had ran at the lake ouachita hunt two weeks ago,stopped eating Sunday afternoon,started doxy,Monday no better,Tuesday morn.carried him to vet.Tuesday afternoon he died. Vet said it was tick fever with organ failure.she said I didn't get the doxy started soon enough to save him...hope this info might help

Skinny, you described it perfectly. By the time you realize the dog is sick it usually has started kidney failure and that is what kills the dog. The answer is PURPLE PYTHON CATTLE TAGS, CHANGE OUT EVERY TWO MONTHS TO KEEP THEM FRESH, YOU WILL NOT HAVE ANY TICKS OR TICK FEVER, I KNOW, I HAVE LOST SEVERAL HOUNDS TO TICK FEVER BUT WENT TO THE PURPLE PYTHON CATTLE TAGS 3 YRS AGO AND HAVN'T LOST A HOUND SINCE. You just can't let your hound get bitten by one tick, it just may be the one carrying the fever.

Give 2 doxycycline a day for 21 days.

Yes Sam that will knock out the tick fever but you have to start on it very early and many times there are not enough symptoms early for you to detect it and by the time just 2 to 4 days after they have it the kidneys have already been damaged so much that they don't survive and many times there are not much in the way of symptoms for the first two to four days, unfortunatley most of the time by the time you can diagnose it it is too late. That is why I say just don't let ticks get on your hounds anytime.

COON PARALYSIS HAS SAME SYMPTOMS IF YOU GOOGLE READ SEVERAL ARTICLES POSTED ON IT QUITE SIMILAR CAN GET FROM SALIVA OF SMALL ANIMALS COONS POSSUMS FOX YOTES THEY SAY IS AN ENDEMIC SITUATION IN THE YOTE POPULATION AND ARE THE WORST VECTOR OF IT. IT SPREAD FROM MY FIRENDS YOTE PEN INTO THE FOXES IN THE WOODS NEXT TO IT WE FOUND OVER 20 DEAD FOXES. ANIMAL CONTROL TESTED NO RABIES COON PARALYSIS COYOTES ARE BAD CARRIERS COULD WIPE OUT THE FOX POPULATION SCAREY. FOR 10 MILES WE CANT GET A JUMP ON A FOX NOW. BEFORE 15-30 MINUTES MANY YEARS.THIS IS A NEW DISEASE. A HOUND CAN RECOVER OR MAY DIE. IT'S NEUROLOGIAL TAKES LOT PATIENCE AND CARE HAND FED. MANY HOUNDS FULLY RECOVER. DEPENDING ON THE VET THERE'S NO PARTICULAR MEDICATION PRIOIRTY AS MAYBE ITS VIRAL.MAYBE TRY TAMIFLU AS ONE GUY SAID WORKED FOR HIM.STILL SKETCHY DETAILS ABOUT IT.