​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

MASTERFOX
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Heath Howell

Heath, have you done any work on the triple crown project. We need to start kicking this around.

thanks

Re: Heath Howell

Steve, there were two ideas I liked regarding a "Masters" Triple Crown. One idea is that to be able to win it a hound would have to place in the Masters, Top Gun, and World Cup in the same year. If multiple hounds accomplished that feat in one year then the hound with the higher average placing would win it. Right now, Lakehills Black Pearl is the only one in the running for it and if she places at the World Cup she would be the winner. I think she would only be the second hound to accomplish this. The other may have been Lakehills Ike. Mighty Man placed in all three also but I don't think it was in the same year. You could also stipulate that the hound must win one of the three to take the Triple Crown. Black Pearl would still be in it under that rule too.
The other idea I like which might need to be labeled with a different name (like "Trifecta" or something) is to add up the GTP of the hounds that finish all three of the major Masters hunts and recognize the highest scoring hound as the winner. This would be a lesser achievement that would be more important when there is no hound eligible for the Triple Crown. I think it would be exciting to post the cumulative grand total points for each hound that finished the Masters and the Top Gun as soon as the Top Gun is over and then there would be 6 weeks or so of anticipation before the World Cup to see who could come out with the highest score from all three hunts. In an average year I imagine you would have 10-15 hounds that would be in the running after the first two hunts. This year I know of three hounds that finished both hunts and there may be more. Lakehills Black Pearl, Windy Lucas, and J's Sir Bill H are the three I know about. I like that this idea keeps more hounds in the running as we go into the World Cup. Most years the Triple Crown would be over after the Top Gun because it is so hard to place in both of those hunts.
There was talk of including the major National hunts but the chances of a hound placing in either the National, USO, or All American and also placing in the Masters, Top Gun, and/or World Cup is very slim. It would be possible to do a separate Triple Crown or Trifecta for the National hunts. Maybe we need some more ideas.

Both sound Good. Put together a package and lets try to get it passed at the Masters or before.. Got a lot on our plate for next yr. need to get this taken care of so it will be in place for next yrs. hunts.

thanks

I hope you all get this lined out, I my self really like the idea be something else to watch. Hope it is decided the triple crown winner just has to place in all three. That it's self would be a hard enough task to tackle! Good Luck to you all!