​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

MASTERFOX
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question about a gyp

Ok I have a question for you gentlemen that has plenty of experience breeding hounds and have been successful. I'm new to field trialing, and new to breeding for field trial material hounds so all hints and tips are welcome. I have a gyp at the house that is off of Wolfe's bryant, and Jordan's flirt. I haven't been able to field trial her yet, but this gyp can straight roll. She has a good nose and will track run a deer, but on a yote or fox she would rather run pretty much by sight cause she's so fast she can look at them for the most part of the time. I'm talkin about I've seen her run up on a yote and bark directly in his ear fast. She holds strong I know between 5-8 hrs, and have only seen her tire out once. My question is would this be a gyp yall would look to breed to get pups out of for field trialing purposes (3 day or 8 hr) or what? I'm just trying to learn exactly what people look for in a good brood gyp. I'm thinking of using a stud with a powerhouse nose, with decent speed and tons of endurance. Does it sound like I'm on the right track here?

Re: Question about a gyp

Depends on what u wanna do sounds like i would try her if she is that nice no matter what but if u are looking to three day u need to look at how she recovers the next day I've known of dogs that can run 12 hrs at night and couldn't run 2- 5 hr day how she moves around while She's not been in a race more or less gong to a race if she does have a trait u can improve on breed her to something that will put that trait into the puppies.... Like the Mr.t dog off of troop Kyle Ladner owns recovers great and has great nose he also won the s&d in the USO I think ! Chase bred dogs are also good dogs to recover if that's a trait she could improve on