Jasmine's Feline Message Forum

Confessions of a Cat Breeder

Following Jasmine's Confessions of a Cat Breeder Following Jasmine's Confessions of a Cat Breeder Following Jasmine's Confessions of a Cat Breeder

We've acquired a great following!

Cat and Kitten Stories

Welcome to Jasmine's Feline Forum

Please feel free to air your kitty problems, ask a question,
or just write about the love you share
with your special feline friend.

Feel free to add your own comments on questions
to help out where you can.

Please note that questions and answers may become part
of our feature articles or stories.

Jasmine's Feline Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Maine Coon Juvenile & Problems

You are a special person to have given Rocky an interesting and stimulating home. I believe Rocky's only problem is he MUST be altered immediately. He is crying and spraying due to rising hormones. It will take some time after altering before he will stop crying, the spraying however should cease more quickly. There are excellent products on the market which totally eliminate the scent of male urine. I use "Nature's Miracle" which completely eliminates all traces of urine.

It would be best to prevent Rocky from entering and having access to that room for a short period of time. If you have him altered now and treat the bed of the older basset at the same time, he may never associate the bed and need to spray again. It is also interesting to note that he has chosen the older basset's bed to demonstrate his displeasure. I am assuming that the older basset does not care for Rocky's high levels of activity. The older basset may also show his displeasure of Rocky's bursts of play attacks with a greater intensity.

Once Rocky has been altered his scent will change and Tyler may decide to spend more time at home. The colder weather may also persuade him to stay indoors and accept Rocky as apart of his home.

I always find it interesting how a feline's personality is eventually reflected in the name they are given. Rocky is being a little 'rocky' right now, Tyler is a laid back name and you have described Tyler as a laid back kind of guy. If you haven't provided a tall scratching pole for Rocky and Tyler this would be a good Christmas present for you all. Felines love playing on tall cat poles with sleeping ledges. Tyler will know it has been provided for his enjoyment but Rocky will also use the pole as a tool to bond with the older male. Rocky will have a new toy and may be more content to stop spraying and teasing the older basset.

Sally became Rocky's mother which is wonderful for both the kitten and canine as they will always remain close companions.

If you speak to any Main Coon breeder they would confirm how special this unique breed is. Rocky is living up to his heritage of being a playful and loving male. Give him some time to settle in and you will be rewarded with a wonderful feline.

If your situation has changed or if you require additional information please do not hesitate to contact our Forum.

Best wishes,

Jasmine,

Psychic Feline Behavior Consultant

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi,

About 2 months ago, I went out to my storage bldg. and discovered a tiny stray kitten who wandered in. He was very little and probably starving. Already having a 17 year old orange tabby male and three rescued Basset Hounds, I was reluctant to adopt another animal. So, I took him to the vets to get a checkup and his shots, thinking I could at least find him a home. The vet estimated he might be 5 or 6 weeks old at most.

Then I discovered he was probably almost pure Maine Coon which I understand is a rare and very likeable breed, and we decided to keep him. Indeed, "Rocky" has proved to be a unique little feller. He immediately took a liking to the younger female Basset, and they play intensely but lovingly. Sally tried to nurse the kitten at first and is extremely upset when Rocky and my older cat face off. Tyler is an outdoor, easy going guy but wants no part of the intruder, so he is spending more time outdoors than he used to. The other two Bassets seem scared of the kitten, since he terrorizes them by leaping on their backs and nipping at their tails, but they seem to get along well otherwise.

Rocky has just turned 5 months old and has "found his voice." He cries much of the time, sometimes for food, but mostly for unknown reasons. I know he hates being alone, and is jealous of the other animals freedom to come and go outside. Lately, he has begun to spray or urinate on the bed of the older Basset and in our extra bedroom where his litter box is. The box is kept clean.

I can not continue to live with this behavior and the strong urine smell. I'm going to have him neutered a bit early, I think. I would appreciate your assessment of the situation and any other comments you and the readers care to give. HELP!!!