Jasmine's Feline Message Forum

Confessions of a Cat Breeder

Following Jasmine's Confessions of a Cat Breeder Following Jasmine's Confessions of a Cat Breeder Following Jasmine's Confessions of a Cat Breeder

We've acquired a great following!

Cat and Kitten Stories

Welcome to Jasmine's Feline Forum

Please feel free to air your kitty problems, ask a question,
or just write about the love you share
with your special feline friend.

Feel free to add your own comments on questions
to help out where you can.

Please note that questions and answers may become part
of our feature articles or stories.

Jasmine's Feline Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help Save Beavis!

I brought a male Persian Chinchilla kitten home as a playmate for my 5 year old cat (same breed). They look alike and the baby (Beavis) is now 18 months. PROBLEM. I moved both cats to a new home (out of state) and the baby has taken to peeing on the sofa. I understood, at first, the bad behavior (he also pee'd on the bed) but after 60 days (with no stress or unpacking going on) he still makes an effort to mark the spot on the sofa! I'm ready to kill him and need to know if there is anything definitive I can do to make him stop peeing on my furniture. I have ruled out a medical problem, becuase he can go 2 weeks with no behavior issue and then as soon as he is given the chance, he'll go pee! I am at my wit's end. Any suggestions just may save this little guy's life!!!

Re: Help Save Beavis!

Sorry you are having so much trouble with him. It sounds like the move stirred up his need to mark your home. Males will develop a need to do this most of the time.

I would block off the rooms that he has been using as a toilet, spray them down with an odor neutralizer,and keep him in a more confined space.

Many people have used "Feliway" with success. I have never tried it. You can pick it up at a local Pet Supermarket - Petsmart, PetCo, etc. Luckily my only male that does this picked hard surfaces like the washing machine, sink, and bathtub. I placed small litter boxes in those places and he used them. I gradually moved them further and further away and it worked. He is back to feeling secure and using the box in its right place now.

Having full males is very difficult and you most likely will face this again, even if you get it under control now. They need to feel like they own the place.

Other than this, letting him have his own room where he feels secure is the only other solution that I have found.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I brought a male Persian Chinchilla kitten home as a playmate for my 5 year old cat (same breed). They look alike and the baby (Beavis) is now 18 months. PROBLEM. I moved both cats to a new home (out of state) and the baby has taken to peeing on the sofa. I understood, at first, the bad behavior (he also pee'd on the bed) but after 60 days (with no stress or unpacking going on) he still makes an effort to mark the spot on the sofa! I'm ready to kill him and need to know if there is anything definitive I can do to make him stop peeing on my furniture. I have ruled out a medical problem, becuase he can go 2 weeks with no behavior issue and then as soon as he is given the chance, he'll go pee! I am at my wit's end. Any suggestions just may save this little guy's life!!!