Jasmine's Feline Message Forum

Confessions of a Cat Breeder

Following Jasmine's Confessions of a Cat Breeder Following Jasmine's Confessions of a Cat Breeder Following Jasmine's Confessions of a Cat Breeder

We've acquired a great following!

Cat and Kitten Stories

Welcome to Jasmine's Feline Forum

Please feel free to air your kitty problems, ask a question,
or just write about the love you share
with your special feline friend.

Feel free to add your own comments on questions
to help out where you can.

Please note that questions and answers may become part
of our feature articles or stories.

Jasmine's Feline Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Siamese breeding question

Hi I have a blue point Siamese female that is 10 months old and has just started going into heat. Her mother is blue and father is seal. I am going to breed her with a lilac - blue point male sometime in June. How many kittens should I expect for her first litter? Also what color points should I expect for the kittens. Thank you.

Re: Siamese breeding question

First litters are usually small. In my experience, the second litter is usually the largest. However, this does not hold true in every case. 10 months is young. I would consider waiting until the next cycle. That is just me, though.

I am not sure on the colors. I have found that Blue Point to Seal almost always gives Chocolate Pt. Blue to Lilac I would guess would give you Blue Pt.. I have limited experience with the Siamese, as I concentrate mostly on Peterbalds. The above is true for the times that I have bred Siamese.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi I have a blue point Siamese female that is 10 months old and has just started going into heat. Her mother is blue and father is seal. I am going to breed her with a lilac - blue point male sometime in June. How many kittens should I expect for her first litter? Also what color points should I expect for the kittens. Thank you.

Re: Re: Siamese breeding question

Thank you Gary for the info. What an interesting breed of cat you breed. How long have you owned Peterbalds? or should I say they owned you. ! My cat is in her first cycle and is driving the family crazy with her calling. She is pretty quite during the day its mostly at night from 3PM to 2AM. I am hoping to wait until June to breed her so that we can get holidays in and have fall babies. The kids will be in school and I will not be as busy at work so I will have much more time to nurture and enjoy them. This will be my first litter so I have been doing lots of surfing and reading books. But the genetics thing baffles me. So for now I will continue reading and asking for advise from people like yourself taking time out of busy schedules. Thanks again.

Replying to:

First litters are usually small. In my experience, the second litter is usually the largest. However, this does not hold true in every case. 10 months is young. I would consider waiting until the next cycle. That is just me, though.

I am not sure on the colors. I have found that Blue Point to Seal almost always gives Chocolate Pt. Blue to Lilac I would guess would give you Blue Pt.. I have limited experience with the Siamese, as I concentrate mostly on Peterbalds. The above is true for the times that I have bred Siamese.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Siamese breeding question

Hi Jen! I love taking time out of my schedule to talk cats.

I have had Peterbalds for only about 3 years now. They are absolutely wonderful and have a personality similar to the Siamese. I absolutely love Siamese - that was my first cat love. Later on I became interested in the Sphynx, because I fell for the hairlessness. I still have one Siamese and 2 Sphynx, but they are all alters.

When I found the Peterbald, it was like the perfect combination. Basically it is a hairless Oriental Shorthair or Siamese. The Don Hairless is the foundation breed (different gene than the Sphynx). It is a breed from Russia. Some breeders outcrossed their Don Hairless to the Russian Blue, but others decided to go another route with outcrosses to the Oriental Shorthair and Siamese. The Peterbald comes from those breedings. TICA still allows the outcrosses and I have done that to get better type.

They have a modified Siamese personality - talk a lot and act like they own the place. They, also, stay active until late in life.

Good luck with your cat and breeding. If you ever need anything or have any questions, I would be glad to help. I have read a lot of information and books on genetics, but it is still not completely understood by me. I would worry about anyone that knows everything about genetics, though.

Email me and I will send you a picture of one of my Chocolate Pt. Peterbald kittens. They look like a hairless Siamese.

Replying to:

Thank you Gary for the info. What an interesting breed of cat you breed. How long have you owned Peterbalds? or should I say they owned you. ! My cat is in her first cycle and is driving the family crazy with her calling. She is pretty quite during the day its mostly at night from 3PM to 2AM. I am hoping to wait until June to breed her so that we can get holidays in and have fall babies. The kids will be in school and I will not be as busy at work so I will have much more time to nurture and enjoy them. This will be my first litter so I have been doing lots of surfing and reading books. But the genetics thing baffles me. So for now I will continue reading and asking for advise from people like yourself taking time out of busy schedules. Thanks again.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Siamese breeding question

Hi. I bred my 10 month old cats, sealpoint siamese, and I got five beautiful healthy babies. I've fed her kitten food most of her life though and still do for the extra nutrients it has. You could wait longer to breed her but siamese tend to mature faster than ordinary cats so I hear anyway. I'm pretty new to siamese breeding myself. Good luck whatever you decide.

Replying to: