​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

MASTERFOX
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Buckville Part II

After reading the post about hunters calling judges to hounds I wondered how the National handled this as I am sure this isn't the first time that this has came up so I called a couple of friends and they were almost totally alike in their opinion They also both said no rules exists against this practice. Also one related an incident where a hunter calling judges to a race worked against him as his hound ran a backtrack in front of a judge and got his hound scratched so I guess it works both ways. In my opinion if you call for judges when there are already judges in the area just because you have a hound in the race I thinks that's being a little unfair If no judges are on the race then I don't see the prob Chances are you don't have the only hound in the area anyway this us just my opinion and only worth one vote but just letting everyone know what the opinion of two "national" hunters think. Also with such a great area we have to run in and good honest judges as far as I know we need to be a little more thankful and grateful for what we have and not so prone to complain if things don't go our way at a particular hunt. Just my thoughts and I ain't throwing stones at anyone
Derek

Re: Buckville Part II

DEREK BACK IN THE SEVENTIES AND EARLY EIGHTIES IF DOGS GOT OUT OF THE AREA AND NO JUDGES WERE IN THE VICINITY A HUNTER COULD CALL THE MASTER OF HOUNDS ON THE C.B. AND HE WOULD ASK THE OTHER JUDGES IF ANYTHING WAS GOING ON IN THEIR AREA AND IF NOT HE WOULD SEND A COUPLE TO GET ON THE PACK THAT HAD LEFT OUT.

Boys you are VERY LUCKY to have a place to have outside hunts.
I have judged hunts for over 30 years and the use of radios to help judges find a race has been a hot topic that hole time.
Years ago at the cimmaron valley on the last day I got called to a race and the hunter that called had a dog in the race,but it backfired on them.
When I got there I scored a S&D crossing and their dog was last,I stayed with those dogs till the hunt was over and the scores I gave to other dogs beat the hunters that called me.
As you can see sometimes it dose not help the hunter that calls.
With that said I like the judges to be on one channel and the hunter on another with the master talking to both the hunter and the judges, he can get the judges where they need to be.
That is my opinion and probably not woth much.

Kevin I agree that calling for judges sometimes helps and sometimes hurts But i can see the other side also if you have a group of hunters that constantly keep hollering and pulling judges to their hounds then like it or not they are taking an advantage and that's not being totally fair. The only hope that you have at that point is you have a dog in that pack also
Derek

If you look at the bottom part of my post,I say that the judges and hunters should be on differant channels and the master of hounds should be the one to make the call weather to send judges to an area.

10- 4 I agree

I hope to come down there and see one of your great outside hunts, and help out anyway I can.
It would not do me any good to bring dogs down and run, we could run them 24-7 on these soft wheat feilds and never get there feet toughf enuff to run in your rocks.
Hope to meet all you boys down there soon.

10-4 just let me know bring a buddy and comehelp us judge the hunt in June we will have a place for you to stay
Derek

What are the dates, I will see if work will let me.

June 3-4-5

I would love to come down then, what hunt is it.
If you are not kidding and need another judge I will try to come down.

Kevin its the National Junior Hunt where kids enter their dogs and they can always use more judges

Kevin, David is correct it's the National Jr. Bring a buddy with you and come give us a hand we will have a place for the judges to stay and keep you from getting hungry. Be done of the prettiest country you ever set foot in. Marc Cowart and I are getting the judges together so here is your invite
Derek

Kevin come on down we would love to have you i think you would really enjoy it. S.R.

I will put in for some vacation time at work and see if I can get off at that time.
I am all for helping out the kids any way I can.
I have an 11 year old girl and she may want to come with me, she may also want to stay home and play softball, as that is right in the middle of her season, she is there shortstop and hates to miss a game.
My dad my come and help out also, he is 76 and not as spry as he once was but sure knows alot about hounds,he has had them for 62 years.
I hope I can come and help out.