​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

MASTERFOX
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where would you go again?

If you think of all the hunts you've been to in the past couple yrs. Which hunt was the most fun, the best fellowship, the best running, the best woods, and which locals did you meet that made the biggest impression on you? and how?

Re: Where would you go again?

Buckville arkansas

The National is my first choice. Best fellowship,a week long of pure fun. My second choice would be the USO at Florida. The locals were more than helpful. We felt welcome down there.

Of all the pens I have been to the very best when it was right was Sportsman Paradise in Brookhaven Mississippi. Great hunters with outstanding dogs and a really fast pen.Had a world of fun and you see an awful lot of the running.

Rolling Hills, Ronnie has great facilities for any field trial. If you want to hear running you will get 3 days of it at any hunt there. He keeps plenty of game, plenty of camper spots, plenty of covered kennels, good cooking, and nice covered place for bench show. Ronnie works at this hard to keep this pen in top shape and my hats off to him. The hunters in this area are friendly and are a enjoyment to hunt with There is always a lot of good competion there And they are always a handful to contend with. This is what I like because sooner are latter you will face them, and I like running with good hounds.Rolling Hills is No.1 for me!

I will be speaking from a judges point of view.
On the outside I would say Buckville Arkansas.I was able to judge the JR. Nationals one year. The running grounds were great and the people and food were as good as you could ask for. The local judges made dad and I feel right at home, and were great to judge with.If you get to go to Buckville you should do it, great place,great people.

If the Kansas State was still being ran at Longton Kansas it would be tops on my list, it had the fastes running I have ever seen at an outside hunt and had more game than anywhere I have ever been.

For a pen hunt Harrisville Miss. has great running and great facilities and food.
Dad and I judged the Wolf Hound Classic last year it was HOT but the running was very very good.
All of the people were great and the other judges first class all the way.

The fastes pen I have ever seen is stoneys big pen, extra extra fast.

1. mississippi state
a. well run hunt
b. top notch judges and moh
c. great bunch of locals friendly and more then
helpful to us out of staters
d. left after hunt planning to attend the next

2. shoal creek
a. well run hunt
b. top notch judges and moh
c. best family nite and entertainment bar none
d. top notch facsilities and camp ground

Big Valley pen, Missouri. Great running, a lot of which you can see from the gallery. Good facilities. Met so many interesting hunters, from all Nations, and lived to tell about it.
Also Top Gun at Tar River. Great pen. Great running. Hunt was superbly organized. Love Creedmore -- small town close to pen.

Eric, I would have to agree that the Top Gun @ Creedmore was top notch and every time I've ever been there the organization,running,fellowship,food and participants were second to none. We have several outstanding facilities in SC as well and have been to many great hunts at each of those facilities (Pamlico,manning,caskey's). I'd also have to say the first East Coast Masters @ Manning, the Top Gun w/ truck @ Manning were great hunts as well. Enjoyed my trips to the Master's in Aimwell, and my one trip to the Futurity/National as well. One thing I wish would change, scrutiny of judges in general socializing amongst participating hunters.........every judge participating should be amongst his/her peers and shouldn't have to worry about disgruntled participants starting rumors "cause ole so & so was talking w/ hunterA or hunterB , therefore he is gonna be cheating padding their scores". I feel our sport has lost some integrety amongst it's participant w/ the growth

Bubba, I attended a couple East Coast Masters at Pamplico and they were excellent hunts -- great running, very well organized, top hunters. They rank among the best.
Also, do not sell the Canadian hunts short. Facilities don't measure up, but the running will stand up against any I've ever heard -- pretty much any trial you attend.
Mallens pen has been a graveyard to a lot of top names over the years, mainly because a lot of Southern and East Coast hounds aren't used to running on that much rock. Their feet would be gone by the third day. Tough test of a hound.
I understand what you're saying about judges not socializing with hunters. It gives the whiners more ammo. However, I rarely get to see many of the friends, I've met through these hound sites. I'm not gonna pretend I don't see them, cause I'm judging.
Being a buddy of mine has never worked for anyone that I'm aware of and has, on occasion, worked against some. That's not right either, but it's reality.
I believe, that we, as judges, have to do our best to take a blank slate except for rules and anonymous numbers into the field.
I try my best to live that reality and let perception go where it may. Again, I understand what you're saying, but people will see what they choose to see in spite of how we conduct ourselves.
The reality of my, or anyone else's judging performance, is found in the hard drives not in who they socialize with.

Eric, great reply, I would have to agree particularly w/ " work against some", it is truly reality and not right either. Was judging a well respected outside hunt years ago, and I was guilty of exactly that........saw a dog I ran w/ on occasions,do it all......trailing included and produce on the last day of the hunt ( had at the moment ran into another judge that observed the same work I observed) and I didn't reward the hound for trailing (neither did the other judge) but rewarded the dog for hunting and then running alone when he ran the game right back over top of us ( Hound would have won the trial instead of placing in H, S&D, and HGA'ing in the top 5.

I am certain your comments about Canadian conditions are all so true. I have a nice older gyp I got as a little pup from Katchawana that has been super nice " tough" hound. Her being an absolute "one man" dog kept me from trialing her, but she goes hunting(running) every time I go, still can get it done @ 7 y/ o. Was gonna take her to the " old dog hunt " in NC this past summer but some marital issues kept me from making that trip.

Hope to soon have some "things" behind me in the near future and be able to get back into judging and running some hunts as I was able to do before my marriage.

Bubba, Once field trialing gets in your blood, it's there for good. As bad as it's treated me the past few years, I still love it --warts and all.
Paul Graham and family have raised a lot of good hounds under the Katchawanna banner. Good to see you got one of them.

1. BEST PLACE TO RUN A HUNT IN THE WILD---
Huxley Bay, Texas.

2. BEST PLACE TO RUN A HUNT IN A PEN---
Thomas Brothers, Texarkana, Arkansas---

3. BEST HUNT I EVER ATTENDED IN THE WILD---
1978 All American, Huxley Bay, Texas---

4. BEST HUNT I EVER ATTENDED IN A PEN---
2009 Masters, Creedmoor, North Carolina---

5. MOST FUN HUNTER---
Mose Hill, Waco, Kentucky---

6. BEST TOWN TO WORK WITH WHILE SERVING AS SECRETARY---
Picayune, Mississippi---

7. BEST PEN MANAGER---
John Beckwith, Pearl River, Louisiana---

8. BEST HOST AND PLACE FOR A BAUQUET---
Dewey Partridge, Cornerstone Health Club,
Picayune, Mississippi---

9. BEST PEN OWNER TO WORK WITH---
Charles L. Graham, Johnsonville, South Carolina---

10. There have been and still are many hunters, many judges and many hounds that stand out in my mind; simply to many to mention for fear of leaving out some of the greats. However, I will say that the one foxhunter that I had the most respect for was Bill Kennedy of Red Bay, Alabama---"A Prince of a Man"---

Some of the best hunts I've attended have been the Ogeechee River Hunts. Some of the best ever where at the United Fox Pen in Swainsboro. When it is right it is one of the best pens in the country to have a hunt.
God Bless
Bobby

Without a doubt for me it would be Buckville Arkansas.
Great place to hunt, wonderful people, and about the only place I can place a hound!!!

I would have to say I have been to several different hunts in several different states. I know it is not available to go back to as of now but in 2007 Mike and I went to the Sansifters Foxpen in Florida to the Florida Masters and Escambia River hunt. The people there were the finest I have been around. The food was unbelivable thanks to Fat Rabbit. The people were as helpful as any bunch I was ever around. I am not sure Mike and I will ever get Ol Gunstock Billys big booming voice out of our mind either.

Buckville Arkansas, Creedmore North Carolina both great places !!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Valley is one of my favorite places. I just wish it wasn't so darn far. Great people.

ROLLING HILLS FOX PEN in Bumpass,Va. owned by Pappy Goodman. He has a couple of hunts there a year and they are the most fun ,good up close running,great fellowship , the pen has red fox ,paved road, nice cabin,a-1 place.
I have been to 4 hunts there and when i leave the hunt i always say to myself how much fun i had.

Mr. Hilton,
It was great having you here. You should come to the Blackwater If you liked the USO You'll love the Blackwater..

Guys I would say buckville,ark. Johnny bratton was a great host. Top notch hunt. Wonderful folks. Wall to wall running. Thanks joey d.

Shucks....I'd go back to every one I've ever been to!!
Since I'm probably not as "die hard" as some, & I really enjoy the fun,food,fellowship! So I've got to say that each & every hunt that I've ever attended, I've always felt welcome,met great folks, & enjoyed a great hunt. Even when gettin my butt whupped!!
Winning or placing always is the "icing on the cake"!!
But the National was an exceptional time, & the Masters at Tar River is high on the list, but reckon my favorite is Wolfe Island,in Canada!! Only place I've ever been where they have a four day feast & party....& low & behold....a three day field trial breaks out!! Plus it is beautiful there as well!
I hope I'm able to attend many trials in many places before I take my last breath, and I'm sure I'll enjoy them equally as well!!

ALLAN BISHOP
(JABBER JAW)

Hey how can I contact Pappy Goodman at Rolling hills fox pen in Bumpass Va