​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

MASTERFOX
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bad stools

14 week old pups have a jelly type stool with blood in it. Hookworms is what I'm thinking?? They are slick and playful otherwise. Thinking Safeguard?? Suggestions?

Re: Bad stools

Go get a worm out tablet and your vet work good

Bad News: Coccidiosis
Good News: Albon will cure it. It's rather expensive but you can make your own generic version with some Dyne and some Sulfadimethoxine. There's been a thread or two on this board discussing the recipe.

It really ain't no big deal but you do need to treat it as soon as possible.

Hope this helps

I have had several puppies with the same thing over the past year. Have saved some and lost some. Had a buddy tell me he had researched it and told me it was thread worms. ????? Said the only thing that would get it is Safeguard (or same as Safeguard) 5 days in a row. The pups I have caught soon enough and started this treatment I have saved. I also used Albon the first few days as well. Not positive that is what you have but it sounds like what mine have had. Stool is kindof mucus looking stuff and will have just a sign of blood. Sometimes it will have a yellowish tint to it. My puppies wouldn't eat and would go to water pan and act like they wanted to drink but never would...

Just lost 5 out of seven that were 12 weeks old. Gave them a lot of Albon and dripped them so they wouldn't dehidrate. They were throwing up some clear stuff quit eating and in 4 days gone. Good luck.

If you get on the internet and type in "Threadworms in dogs" it will pull up several sites that will give the symptoms and how they are passed on. Hot, Humid, and crowded conditions are when they seem to be the worst. I have 6 pups that are 7wks old that have been doing great. Went to feed this morning and 3 are sick with same symptoms you described and what I have had before. I have mine in a brooder with wire bottom and off ground about 3 1/2 feet. Wash it out everyday but we have had a week or so of very hot, humid weather with some rain. Seems that is when it shows up. These pups are still on their mama and have feed in front of them constantly as well as getting Jersey cow milk 2 times a day. They have been doing great until this morning. I gave them all (even the 3 that aren't sick) Albon and Safeguard goat wormer this morning. Plan to do that for 5 days if they live. I have saved some this way and I have lost some.

Could anyone describe a recipe for the home made Albon product?

I would like to know too. Albon is expensive but worth every penny. I keep it on hand. Another thing you can use if your vet will give it to you is Reglin. It will soothe their stomach and maybe they will eat.

Probably hooks. My vet says at 2 weeks give them panacure 3 days in a row. And once every two weeks after that. We have had a lot of problems with worms in young pups. Don't know if this helps you any.

I ain't no know-it-all by any means, but I have raised a lot of puppies and have had my fair share of bad luck in doing so.
Here is what I THINK: The throwing up clear stuff and not eating, ultimately resulting in death, is Parvo. While we vaccinate our puppies with the best vaccine we can find, the virus still occurs from time to time because there are SO many different strains of viral infections. It's like washing our hands every 15 minutes and still getting a common cold.

The strawberry or grape jelly stool closely resembles coccidiosis, and Lord knows I have had my share of that. But if you know how to treat it it really ain't no big deal. Puppies will most often snap right out of it and get back to growing.

Coccidiosis is not a parasite, it's actually one of many common bacterial infections, it's just most often the most severe. The good thing about treating for coccidiosis is when we treat, we are treating for all bacterial infections, even those we may not know are present. It makes for a much healthier puppy.

Albon 5% is the most effective treatment but it's very expensive, $93 for 16oz. I make my own generic Albon 5% by mixing 40% Sulfadimethoxine (12.5%) and 60% Dyne Dietary Supplement. I use a measuring cup to put 4oz of Sulfadimethoxine and 6oz of Dyne into a container the total volume is then 10oz which equates to 40% and 60% or Albon 5% suspension. For smaller doses you can use a 12ml syringe and put 4ml of Sulfa and 6ml of Dyne.
Jeffers has the Sulfadimethoxine 12.5% for $36.75 per gallon and the Dyne for about $44 per gallon. You can probably find smaller quantities on-line and save a bunch of money but I just always buy both by the gallon.

Once again, here is the recipe and dosage for generic Albon 5%:
40% Sulfadimethoxine (12.5%) and 60% Dyne Dietary Suppliment. Mix or shake well and give orally 10ml per 20lbs of body weight or .5ml per 1 pound for 3-5 days in a row, or until asymptomatic for 48 hours. I always give it for 5 days. Fasting is not necessary and I have never had any problems with giving them too much or overdosing.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,,,,,,,, Jack Floyd

it didn't appear the original poster was saying his pups were sick acting just a jelly stool with a little blood in it. playfull is what i read.thats worms and safeguard has never worked for me. try the equimax. carefull with dosage on pups cause it is strong.

Jack is trimethylsulfate in the same family of drugs? I don't know the strength but I buy it premixed for 23.00 per 100 ml dosage is 1 ml per 4 lbs weight. Has worked very well for me.

I checked my pups when I got in this afternoon. A couple that were pretty sick this morning were better. The stools are a jelly type and kind of yellowish in color with just a touch of blood. I really don't think it is coccicidosis and Im sure its not Parvo. I gave a little more Albon. Will give more Safeguard and Albon in the morning.

What does Giardia look like?

Mike, yes, trimethylsulfate is in the same family of sulfa drugs as sulfadimethoxine and I suspect it's just as effective in the treatment of coccidiosis. To compare trimethylsulfate to sulfadimethoxine is about the same as comparing amoxicilin to cephalexin. Same family.

Leaving vet now. Severe infestation of hookworms. Thanks for all the responses .

Hey Byrd, ol' buddy!!

I ain't never had me none of that Giardia in my kennels, thank goodness, but I have had some vets call in the medication for it to my pharmacy. While the symptoms are very similar to Coccidiosis (bloody, loose stool, and general fatigue), Giardia is a parasitic infection instead of a bacterial infection. The typical treatment the veterinarians around here have used is an antibiotic called metronidazole. It is used in conjunction with an aggressive dewormer, most often fenbendazole which is actually Safe-Guard or Panacur.

Valbazen- 1cc per 10 lbs every 12 hours for 48 hours.(2 days) for Giardia

I don't think I've had it either but I have 2 litters(7 weeks, 4weeks) that all of the sudden seem to be missing something. The 7 weeks stools seem normal but quit gaining weight. The 4 weeks are a really dark, pasty stool, maybe some intestinal bleeding. I have wormed all pups every week with Nemex 2, sometimes twice a week.
It has rained everyday for 3 weeks until this week keeping it cool. Temperatures have been staying 93-96 all this week, I'm hoping it's just the heat, but I'm going to give them safeguard 10% everyday until the bottle is gone.

The feed store will have Sul-Met (like Albon) for Coccidiosis in chickens. Put it water for jip and puppies, worked well for me and a lot cheaper . Big Jim

Not to take away from anything other people have said , but hook worms are much more common than the other infections such as coccidiosis. There are several around our area that always think they have coccidiosis and they just need a real good worming.

Be sure your not underdosing them. That small tube of safeguard paste will worm a 1100 lb horse but only good for 120lb dog. A 40lb dog would need the whole tube within 3 days to get the correct amount. I learned the hard way and use to give them a little squirt three days and call it good but never could get them dewormed. Vet told me if you under worm you might as well not worm at all.

I had some little puppies that are 3 months old right now. long story short took to vet several times said it was hook worms which I had suspected already. gave several medicines nothing worked. was talking to some fellow hunters while running dogs one morning and they suggested I use safeguard goat wormer liquid. I tried it and after 3 days they were totally worm free and looking great again. 200 dollars at vet and it only took 15 dollars at tractor supply. will be using goat wormer in the future

whip worms went thru this a while back panocure 3days then one week do it again

Give the pups 1 1/2 cc of dawn dish washing detergent antibacterial 3 days In a row straight down their throat will do the trick,saved a cpl litters like that,then put a few drops in their water bucket and suds it up. I keep it in all my buckets until the pups are out of the coccidiosis age,the old saying was to give them bleach but that hurts the lining of their stomach,the dawn will not do that,I saw a difference in a few day pups not eating and acting groggy to them rocking the brooder,wouldn't hurt to give it to the dam if they are still nursing because she could be the carrier.its not going to hurt them either way that's why I tried it.

Please, please, please do not squirt any kind of detergent, including Dawn, down your dog's throat. Especially bleach. That makes about as much sense as burning your females's pee pee to get her to come in heat. Come on guys, use a little bit of common sense and stop giving stupid advice. Some visitors to this site may not know better and someone may actually try some of this torture on their dog.

By the way, as a veterinarian of over 30 years I can assure you that if your pups are passing blood, and they are not wormy, if you want them to live take the advice given in this thread about generic Albon. That is sound advice everyone who raises pups should know. You should go read it.

John Morris.... How much of the Safeguard goat wormer are you giving puppies? Im using it too but not real sure how much to give>

I had the same bloody jelly stools in some young hounds that had been wormed regularly.Took one to the Vet the other day-- found hook and whip worms-- Vet said panacur 3 days in a row- repeat in 3 weeks- repeat in3 months--said panacur is the only wormer that would get whip worms--stools were good after 5 days-1ml. Every 7lbs.

Safeguard and Panacur, same exact wormer. 10% fenbendazol.

CoachMc
I gave mine 2cc's 3 days in a row. at 2 months old. May be a little strong but I was desparate. dont know the weight to wormer ratio just went on advise of some fellow hunters I trust. grown dogs they use 6cc's 3 days in a row.if yours are younger than 2 months might cut back to 1 cc 3 days in in a row. Like I said my pups were in dire shape now at 3 months old they are big and healthy and happy. I can try to find out how they come up with there dosing if you want to call or text my number is 252-474-7841

1 cc per 5 lbs is what the vet gave me. Stools and appetite are already back to normal.