​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Scratching hounds

All those bad traits that have been discussed on this topic are really annoying to the spectators but they don't really interfere with a good pack of hounds that know how to take care of business. I've noticed that a good dog recognizes what's going on pretty quick and want pay attention to a bad hound for long. If someone continues to bring bad hands to trials, he needs to be scratched but that would lower the win money.

James, you're ok with a babbler or quitter winning a hunt?

If you have judges that will score a babbler or one that quits, you need to scratch those judges. I don't know how the rules are set up but if a dog like that can win there should be some rule revision. A dog that quits can't win anything. If it was running high scoring hound but quit for any reason before the hunt ended , he is out I would hope the rules are that way. If the second high hound finishes the hunt, it wins. As far as babbling, iv had a few young dogs that would run behind a dog barking when you first turn out but settled down after they stopped and cleaned out. Never had a dog that was a steady babbler. Had some dog that had more mouth than most people liked but they contributed as much as the others in the race. After dogs have ran with a mouthy dog they recognize when he is searious and when he is just hoping. If you listen close you can tell too. Some mouthy dogs can add a lot to a pack. I've never owned a dog that was a continuous babbler without smelling something. I think I would let someone that liked babblers have him.

There are rules in place, but this topic is about hunts that chose to not scratch for faults.

hunts must not be governed or sanctioned by strict organizations. Didn't know a hunt had that option to change rules.

James don't understand your last post.Call the chase get a rule book read it.As for you saying a quiter never wins I witnessed and got beat by a hound that laid up by a back gate where there were multiple Hunters for 3 hours.Judge rode by him 3 times.I was almost sure he got red line but guess what he didnt.The owner of the hound wouldn't even buy him in a 5 dollar Calcutta.How he won I don't know but he did.I placed 6th but this hound never deserved a champion title.Not bad mouthing judges but if you ride by a hound 3 times in 3 hours he/she needs red line period.

this conversation is a little confusing for somebody like me that just goes out and runs dogs. Let me out of here and I'll go run something.

Happy hunting

Know what your feeding. A sorry dogs eats just as much as a good dog. If you cant get out of your truck to watch your dogs then your at the Mercer of the field trials to tell you what your feeding. A dog gets scratch for a reason. Puppy hunts and the Derby class are for this reason. All Age dogs at a field Trial are expected to be top notch and the judge is looking for a champion. It is what it is. Know your dogs feed them well and run them into shape. Field Trials are competition events against the best in the business. Know what your feeding. Cast your Hounds.

I agree

The purpose of a field trial is supposed to be to determine a Champion.
A hound should be scratched for any fault observed which would mar the characteristics of an ideal field champion.
We all need to remember the your best hound is still just a dog, they all do some stupid things sometimes even when they know better, kind of like people.

If you've got honest qualified judges dogs don't get scratched, they scratch themselves.

bring back scratching for CUNNING RUNNING. most may not be old enough to remember this rule but it would solve alot of problems from hunters bringing road running no game running race flanking hounds to hunts. not counting on helping the future of breeding nose back and getting back to some foxhounds worth feeding. ive judged a many big hunt and these type hounds are easiest to pick in the field. plus will benefit pen owners saving game since most is caught in road not from behind