​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Scratching hounds

this conversation is a little confusing for somebody like me that just goes out and runs dogs. Let me out of here and I'll go run something.

Happy hunting

Know what your feeding. A sorry dogs eats just as much as a good dog. If you cant get out of your truck to watch your dogs then your at the Mercer of the field trials to tell you what your feeding. A dog gets scratch for a reason. Puppy hunts and the Derby class are for this reason. All Age dogs at a field Trial are expected to be top notch and the judge is looking for a champion. It is what it is. Know your dogs feed them well and run them into shape. Field Trials are competition events against the best in the business. Know what your feeding. Cast your Hounds.

I agree

The purpose of a field trial is supposed to be to determine a Champion.
A hound should be scratched for any fault observed which would mar the characteristics of an ideal field champion.
We all need to remember the your best hound is still just a dog, they all do some stupid things sometimes even when they know better, kind of like people.

If you've got honest qualified judges dogs don't get scratched, they scratch themselves.

bring back scratching for CUNNING RUNNING. most may not be old enough to remember this rule but it would solve alot of problems from hunters bringing road running no game running race flanking hounds to hunts. not counting on helping the future of breeding nose back and getting back to some foxhounds worth feeding. ive judged a many big hunt and these type hounds are easiest to pick in the field. plus will benefit pen owners saving game since most is caught in road not from behind