​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
Hunt in Camp Shelby

I am kicking around the idea of having a hunt in Camp Shelby after Deer Season. We would need to do it before Turkey Season of course so I am asking everyones opinions and wanting input from everyone. We have enough time to do some planning and have a great hunt. I would like to cook or either cater on the day of the hunt after everyone gets caught up and eat and fellowship before the scores are called out. I would like to have a raffle for a gun and give door prizes. What do you all think??? Would like to make it an all day event with some things for the kids like a bounce house. We can go big as we want!!
Call me if you got any ideas or want to help. Sammy Murphy (601) 297-2856

Re: Hunt in Camp Shelby

Sounds great to me I'll take some numbers

I think the turnout would probably be great after deer season. How many hours does everyone want to run?

Sammy just want to let you know the 1st weekend of March is when Gaines creek has their outside hunt just letting you no buddy thanks

They are not having the Gatwood Hunt this year so that would be great . They are moving it to Feb but is us going to be not this Feb but the next . Any time in Feb this coming up year would be great . Every bodies hounds will still be in shape from deer season . Just my opinion .

The All American is from jan 30 to February 5.

No sense in having one if u don't have at least 35 judges really need 50 to b a jam up judged hunt think they had 10 or 12 at that gatwood memorial to cover how many acres ? Right don't care how many hounds u get if u don't have enough judges it can't b a good hunt all I have to say

So can we put Rawhide on the list for judges?

I will help judge

10 or 12 judges can cover it if they know the area. You can't just sit in one spot and expect to judge .

Got it planned to have a dog auction. We can have a full blown trade day if it suits everybody. Gonna have plenty of feed to give away at the hunt. Should secure a couple of guns to sell tickets on tomorrow. If anyone wants to sell tickets contact me.

I like to come to this hunt

I will help with ticket sales

I'll take 4 numbers Sam.

All it takes is 9 judges to pick the best dog.

Setting the date for the hunt on Febusry 20th. Mill Creek Hunting Club hunt will be the 27th and Gaines Creek hunt will be the following weekend. Three weekends fie the outside hunters in a row!!!

That's great . Can't ask for better outside hunting then what you gone get 3 straight weekends in a row .

Whats wrong Sammy cant make it in a field trial anymore,gotta hunt outside,buy a hound from Jessie, He will get your name called

You don't know much about me there slayer!! An outside hunter is all I have ever been. This post is about the hunt in Camp Shelby not about me or any other hunter so if you don't have anything to say that is positive for our hunt or positive about our sport just don't post anything at all!!! Nobody has time for your junk

Sammy, I think a 2 day hunt might be worth kicking around. I know several hunters that want to come to a hunt in Shelby, but won't drive long distances for a 3 hour hunt. I'd like to see atleast 4 or five hour 1 day hunt. I think you can get more support by tacking on a hour or 2.

Yeah it needs to be atleast a 5 hr hunt on the outside

We are officially calling this the Camp Shelby Open. It will be Febuary 20th cast at daylight and run 4 hrs. Entry fee will be 40 dollars and payback will be 100% after some expenses. Will have the Bench Show the night before at my camp. Will also take entries the night of the Bench Show and starting at 4:30 the morning of the hunt. We have a ton of support and lots of extras to give away at the hunt. Plan on coming and bring your family we will have a bounce house for the kids to jump in. We have a bake sale planned for your sweet tooth and Hawg Heaven BBQ is onboard to set up I will feed the judges but you will have to buy your lunch I wish I could feed everyone for free but at this time that is not possible. I should get the tickets made up this week for the two guns one is a Ruger All American 30-06 and the other is an 870 Super Mag. Will give jackets for 1st thru 10th place.If we have enough interest we will have a dog auction and trade day. Anyone wanting to sell or trade something let me know. The address to the camp is 2654 Hwy 29 Brooklyn, Ms 39425 it is exactly 10 miles south of New Augusta on the right. My number again is 601 297-2856. The books are open for numbers.

Sammy I was just messing with you old Buddy, I think the Hunt will be Great and Thanks for stepping up!!! and making it Happen!

I want 5 numbers

I just got back to work for two weeks. If anyone needs numbers you can call after 6 pm due to
Me working nights

Sounds like its gonna be a good hunt Sammy . Thanks for taking the time to put on a hunt for us outside hunters .

Brooks Badland Kennel your numbers are 87,89,102,103,104

I need one number Sammy .

Chuck your number is 118

I need 5 numbers Sammy

Matt your numbers are 120,122,123,124,125

Could we get a list of these judges posted before the hunt? Not saying it will happen at this hunt but it has happened before with judges riding around with Garmons in there trucks only tracking ole joe blows dogs. And a RECAST site that is actually used and inforced. Seen hunters with Garamons catch there dogs take them back to a race where judges is at and the win the hunt. Yes I've seen it. I no yall will chop my head off over this but you all know it's the truth. At least 20 judges with there cb radio on an ONLY talking o other judges not hunters. Leave cell phone in the pocket. Let them use there ears and radioes to get on a race. Set up a boundary line if your dog gets out of it take it back to RECAST location and recast there not on a race. I thank it's a great hunt and yes I'll be there. No I'm downing the hunt it will turn out great.

We will have two Master of Hounds at this hunt. The reason behind that is because 1 man can't be everywhere at one time. We will need help from the hunters too at this hunt as not to interfere with the judging and scoring of the crossings. As always at Camp Shelby we have always had boundaries as well as rules about hunters interfering with the judges. Usually it is asked of the hunters to stay on the boundary lines unless you are returning a dog to the designated recast area.

That's great. Now as long as NO JUDGES or MASTERS have dogs in the hunt. And yes even if someone else enters them it still ant good hunting to do that. I know Sammy your going to make it fair. We just all want a fair shot at it. Thank you. If you got dogs in the hunt stay out of the hunt!! And that should go for anyone no matter your name. If your dog gets out then go get it. Recast it at the recast spot. Then get back out. Thanks again.

No one affiliated with the hunt will have dogs in the hunt. I'm not even putting dogs in even though everyone I talked to said they didn't have a problem with me running since I was just organizing the hunt. I want everyone to know you have a shot. You will see this will be a first class hunt!

Thank you Sammy.

Thanks

Just courious Who is Billy Bob?

I was wondering myself

Got out around 150 numbers.

Sammy if you will get up with me this weekend in Shelby on Ch8 I will help with the raffle ticket sales

Chuck I will be in the 25th. I'm will get to hunt starting the day after Thanksgiving. I will get up with you then

Just went and picked up the jackets. 10 people will be getting a fine jacket.

who will the 2 master of hounds be

Joe Dye and Dean Jacobs

Could not think of any 2 better for the job they will do a great job

The ad is out in the Hunters Horn

Where will cast be??

Mouth of the Two Patch road on the Salt Lick road

Sammy-Dean mentioned this earlier today at the MSHDA hunt so I wanted to touch base with you and see if we could set up a tent to sell t-shirts? All the shirts are related to hunting/hounds/field trails and any money raised goes towards a local hunting hound rescue. Also, Little Larry said he will judge if he's home. Thanks!

You can set up a tent no problem. Tell Lil Larry I appreciate it

1 2 3